Out of state used boat purchase

vtmecheng

• Baller

I'm considering buying a boat that is not in my state, about 8 hours away. I would drive down and trailer it back and in thinking about it I am not sure how that works with plates. I will have to tow in at least three states to get home so I can't just get a single state in-transit plate. Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Addition: This would be private party to private party, no dealers involved.

• Baller
Are you buying from a state where they don't do trailer plates? When I bought my boat from Oregon, the plate stayed on it until I re-registered it in Arizona. Only things I did for the transport other than prepping the boat itself was new trailer tires and insurance.

• Baller
I bought 2 boats out of state, first one from a dealer in MI. They were able to give me a temporary trailer plate........that was valid only in michigan. Second time last fall got a prostar out of KY, evidently you aren't required to register trailers in KY so no temp available. Both trips I got insurance ahead of time and threw my old trailer plate on and drove home.

• Baller
VA does trailer plates but that would assume the seller is ok with me taking the plates home and sending them back to him when I get here. In both VA and PA, the seller keeps the plates. I know PA offers temporary in-transit plates but that is only for a non-resident of PA who buys a vehicle in PA (they want every $$ then can).

• Baller

@MDB1056 I have not purchased yet. The current status is that I have many pics from the seller and want to get it to a mechanic so the computer can be checked along with a good once over. If that's all good and we can agree on a price, I'll make the trip down. Don't worry, if I pull the trigger pics will be posted.

I realized that most of the boats I have found were out-of-state so this same question would come up.

• Baller

I just did this between SC and NC. Net, it all depends on the rules of all the states involved. I called both the NC and SC DMVs to figure out the process in my case.

At the same time, also figure out the rules for transferring the trailer title. It's really important to know the ins and outs of that before you make the purchase. For the SC->NC case, there is no way around getting the trailer titled in SC before you buy the boat. The seller had to do that. SC optionally titles trailers, which is about the worse case scenario. NC will only accept a title from states that optionally titles trailers. For some states, you can have a bill of sale + a bill of sale showing the seller legally bought the trailer, but that won't work SC->NC.

For the plate, SC issued me a 30 day tag for the trailer in my name. All they needed for that was to see a copy of the bill of sale and proof of insurance. Then I had to get a NC tag issued before the 30 days ran out to be legal in NC.

The title for the boat is another case. Luckily in my case both SC and NC require boats to be titled. That makes it pretty easy. But this it typically handled by each states Wildlife Resource Commission.

Some sellers will loan you their plates and some won't. Quite frankly it's a risk for them to do so....

• Baller
@jpwhit that is simply crazy, it's like they don't want us to buy trailers. I did call the PA DMV and they said that I need a tag for the trailer even if it's been purchased that day. That said, they will only issue a temp tag if I have the signed title. I don't exactly want to drive 8 hours to test drive, buy, and bring the title back to PA just to drive back down to get the boat. DMV said to call VA to see what their rules are. I do know that VA requires titling of both the boat and trailer so that's at least good.

• Baller
After over an hour on hold I finally got the VA DMV to pick up, the last few posts were made while holding. They require a "trip permit" to be purchased from the DMV for $5. Supposedly anyone could go into a VA DMV and get it for me so long as they have my name and the VIN number of the trailer. Asking someone to go to the DMV is one hell of a request though. I may end up owing my father beer for a long time if this sale goes through.

I do this with vehicles frequently, LEGALLY, you would need a trip permit for each state that you passed through. Some states will recognize out of state permits, others will not. Would a cop pull you over for something that pathetic, depends, they can be pretty shady. If you want to move it without jumping through all of these hoops, and I don't blame you for a minute, they are foolish revenue grabs and think one size fits all, you get lumped in with commercial vehicles etc... I have on many occasions asked sellers to allow me to use the plate, of course I have my insurance in force when I get there and sign a release of liability to cover the seller, and I overnight the plate back to them. $25 or whatever, money well spent. I would also make sure the trailer gets the once over, I assume you are working on this, you know lights that ALL work, and good tires. A cop would be a lot more likely to want to see documentation if you are bombing down the road with no/few lights or non working directionals.

• Baller
I am going to ask the seller how they feel about letting me borrow the plates. VA doesn't require the plates to be returned to the state but I will send them back if wanted. The liability release is a good idea and I would definitely not trailer it unless everything is working, no reason to ask for trouble. What a pain in the... Hopefully the mechanic won't find anything alarming and we can make this deal go down.

• Baller

I agree with @thager

This ain't that complicated. I have bought a number of used items not one time did the owner take off the plate before I left. That is crazy. The trailer is still plated in where ever you bought it from until you plate it in your home state. Just drive it home and start the registration process then. When I buy something the registration of the previous owner is part of what I am buying until I transfer it.

The bigger thing is getting insurance. I like to make sure I have coverage on my boat before I drive it home.

• Baller

Wisconsin doesn't title trailers. Every spring break for about 12 years, my collegiate waterski team and another from a nearby school would tow our boats from WI to GA. Also included was a full equipment trailer. None of them ever had plates. None were ever stopped.

Buy, drive, enjoy your new boat.

• Baller
Spoke with the owner and he's cool with keeping the plates on. Bad part, he bought it 5 years ago for his 14 year old daughter. She was the primary driver that whole time, so I have no idea if she could actually drive an inboard correctly. Only 250 hrs on it and they only put 2 hrs on it this year. Being a believer that using an engine is important to keep things working well, that is a red flag. Also, tires are over 5 years old and there's no spare.

• Baller
Crazy part is that he bought a true ski boat for his high school daughter to go around the lake a tube a bit. They never skied or wakeboarded behind it. Claims he didn't know the too speed until a few weeks ago because they hadn't opened it up in the 5 years (not sure I buy that one).

• Baller

I wish I had 12 years of collegiate skiing experience. Best time of my life!

Sadly, no. My class started the tradition of trucking our stuff down to Georgia my senior year. The team continued that for years. A few of us alums would go each year for the first few years post graduation before life got in the way.

My dad did. He didn't even know how to turn it on. My brother and I took care of it from day one. I think I was 14-15yo we kept it in perfect shape BUT you gotta be that guy and I run into very few of them, and even fewer females in my wheeling and dealing. I have the rule of "5" if I find 5 notable defects, NEXT!

• Baller
I picked up my boat in Oregon. Trailered it back to Washington. The previous owner left the plates on. I didn't even think or worry about it. Actually those plates are still on it. But seeing as the trailer hasn't moved in a month that is probably ok. Thankfully the boat is in the boat house

• Baller
Good! I bought a boat that was used in brackish water near Pax River. If I worried about every little nuance I would have passed up on the best boat I have ever owned. Listen to the mechanic then use little things to get the price down if possible. I sure as heck wouldn't let a teenager driving or low hours dictate my decision if a competent mechanic says it is in good shape.

• Baller
I'm not too worried about the transport now. Waiting on the mechanic to get back to me about the service history and their take on things. I also just found a 2003 Response LXI that looks nice, 500 hours, and isn't too far from me. Seeing as the Nautique in VA is really a stretch to our budget, saving 4k by going to the Response would be nice. Tough first world problems :)

• Baller
From the little bit of googling I've done it seems the pressure should be around 60-70 psi. Above that and either the oil is really old, though he said the boat was only used 2 hrs this year and oil changed before last winter, or the oil pump bypass is bad. If it's the bypass the engine may need to be pulled to get at it. Not sure that's true.

• Baller

1. Too much worrying about traveling out of state. Just buy it. Spending $24k or so on a boat, $800 in fuel to get it, and sweating a $150 ticket seems frivolous.

2. How long was boat running when wot?

3. 85% of the people run the wrong oil in their boat.

4. Correct Craft is notorious for poor wiring in their dash. By 2004 I hadn’t seen any issues. Maybe not enough time for problems to show up, maybe by 2004 they understood how DC works.

5. Most probable what angle was picture taken? My wife does 98% of my driving. I sweat my engine temps because I’m always running warmer than I’d like. So I’m always looking over her shoulder to watch the gauges and I’ve learned where I stand in the boat, depending on angle view the gauges looks drastically different.

• Baller
That Response has super nice ski wakes and is one of the best looking boats ever put to water. If checking that one, find out if the ECM has gotten the latest flash. No biggie if not as the dealer can do it in the driveway. '03 Monsoon has the "idle flair" with the original software. Kindof a nuisance.

• Baller

@Orlando76

1. Totally agree at this point.

2. I have no idea

3. I was just thinking that he could have a thicker oil in there, which probably isn't the best for the engine but he's only run it 2 hrs this year.

4. Totally possible that gauge is bunk.

5. Pic was fairly dead on and it's easy to see the needle is pegged.