Any Fluid Motion EVO Users?

Nando

• Baller
After a couple of minor injuries from my Reflex boot hitting my hind leg, I've been thinking about changing my setup (Reflex with R-style rear). Anyone out there on the Fluid Motion EVOs? I like the simplicity, but am a little concerned about the release and durability of the cuffs. Also, their Quattros seemed really heavy. And the boots seem wide, based on trying my brother's that is way too short for me. Advice?

• Baller
@Nando check out the MOB release system, you can use the boots you currently have. The universal skate design shell that FM uses are generally heavier than some of the other hardshells in use. Let me know if you have any specific questions about the release system.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

@Nando I've been using the E Series since 2010. By far, the safest binding I have ever had, particularly if you are not a double boot skier. I have used it with toe loop, the RS Custom-Hybrid, and more recently with a Wiley Pro Series. I have always released when I had to and, IMPORTANTLY, didn't release when I didn't have to.

Will the top cuffs last forever? No, but I notice a difference only after 30 releases or so. Which, come to think about it, are lots. I would buy a spare cuff off the get go just to have it.

Finally, they offer an option with two buckles on the cuff. I personally use one as I like to have mobility on my front ankle, but I have never noticed any difference when it came to release.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller
@Nando- I’ve been on the EVO for 5+ years. @ali and his wife run it too. It’s held up well for all of us. We were both on the FM quattro previously. The simplicity of the release is great, and it is much lighter than the Quattro system. I’m currently running it with an r-style rear boot.

• Baller

@Luzz - does FM modify the lowers with the EVO?

On my quattros I ran a single buckle front and then in the rear lower shell there is a hole and a V-slot - opening that hole up to a larger size and then progressively trimming the V really frees up the cuff. I'd assume the EVO is trimmed lower .

The FM shells are a bit wider in fit which can be really nice, but also they just look wider beacuse they're an "aggressive skate" meaning they're designed to slide down rails.

• Baller
@nando - I have the 2 buckle cuff and the z-buckle in the forefoot. Not sure you really need 3, 1 is probably fine. I did switch out my top buckle to a more consistent m2 buckle so I always get the same tension. The 2nd cuff buckle is too long to swap. As for the z-buckle- I snatch it shut with basically zero tension so it isn’t doing much. I never cinch the laces. @ali has 1 buckle but he does snug his laces.

• Baller
@Bdecker I didn’t care for the m2 buckles or their price, I just mark my standard skate buckles so I can put them at the same spot every time. I don’t know why you would need two buckles on the cuff. A lower cuff is better in my opinion. I don’t want my leg to influence forward pressure on the ski, I want my COM to control that.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller