Is there a correlation between early starting age to ski and short line lengths, 38 off and shorter?

lakeside7455

I have a theory that most all of the skiers skiing 38 off or shorter, started at an early age, 3-10 years old.

If they started this early, they obviously had parents and coaching early that new the ski game which helped them tremendously, along with dialing in proper technique from the start, less bad habits to fix.

So BOS skiers, is there anyone out there that started skiing late in life, late 20's to 30's, that probably didn't have parents that knew anything about skiing, but is still able to ski very short line now? I'd like to hear your story. It probably took a lot more hard work to get there.

My guess is the skiers who started later in life, fall mostly into the 35 off and longer line length category.

• Baller

Interesting question. I'm 59, and started course skiing in my early 30's. It had been a few years since I skied a pb, but occasionally have been clearing a 35 and struggling into 38 for the last several seasons. Have taken pro lessons a few times - huge help.

This year has been better than ever, regularly clearing 35's, and getting deep into 38 often. Credit to having friends that are as committed (or more so) as you are to the sport. Without getting out there often, there's not enough time to develop the skills needed to progress at some level.

• Baller

I ran the course first time at 21yrs old. Ran 38 @34mph first time in a tournament at 35yrs old. Ran 38@36mph in a tournament at 38yrs old

Greg Badal is the craziest example I know of, starting late to 41. I dont have the age/performances down exactly, but he started skiing the course in his 30s, and ran 39 within ~5-7yrs.

• Baller

It's not the starting age but the access to high quality coaching so you never learn bad habits. Many of the young skiers are fortunate because they have been receiving quality coaching from an early age which is a luxury skiers who start later in life do not have.

Not saying youth doesn't help, not being sore, having some flexibility and all that... but the access to coaching resources is the difference maker.

• Administrators

I first skied when I was three. I skied my first Nationals when I was about 11 or 12.

I think the biggest key to progress is skiing with people that know more than you do. When I was in college I jumped with a guy who was former Junior World jump champion and I jump the farthest of my life. If I didn't have access by phone and internet to some of the best skiers in the world I think I would still be at 3 @ 38 guy. If I had access to that kind of knowledge in the boat as opposed to over the phone I think my PD would probably be two balls higher. I hope this isn't a squirrel on the topic but my point is if you take a guy and immerse him in knowledge he can advance much faster even if he starts later in life.

• Baller_

Interesting theory. I started skiing at age 6 but didn’t start the slalom course until I was 20. Ran my first practice 38 at 27 and first tournament 38 at age 34.

A side effect is the techniques I learned, that were valid at the time, don’t work well for a heavier skier in the world of ZeroOff. Its been a struggle to adapt and fight old age at the same time.

I know several skiers who started later in life, but had the benefit of good ski partners/coaches so they didn’t develop too many bad habits.

I really think the dominant success factors are good coaching and equipment from the start to prevent development of “bad” habits. This is much more important than chronological age.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_
Do not discount the skiers who, regardless of age, have copious amounts of disposable personal time to practice, learn, and experiment. If you’re a skier who works a standard business day, then drives a non-trivial distance 2-3 times per week to bang out two quick sets back-to-back, then rockets back home to balance life’s other priorities, you are going to struggle to maximize whatever talent or youth you have.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Only my opinion but I started skiing 55 yrs ago behind an old 35hp OB and only skied behind OBs for the next 20 yrs or so. Finally got a ski boat for regular use in my late 20s. skiing behind OBs for all those years without a course to ski led to many bad habits that I could get away with behind the boat. Skiing behind a ski boat was a wake up call. Had to basically re-learn how to ski properly. Then throw in course skiing, big time humbling. I haven't made it through a 38, yet but I still hope to. So I think starting to ski at an early age isn't necessarily an indicator of short line success, I think it depends more on the availability of and Inboard ski boat, a course and coaching and some inborn natural talent.

I think the correlation is no different than the correlation to mastering any other practice in life. It takes a certain number of reps/ hours of practice to master anything (10,000 hour rule), slalom skiing is no different. Starting at a young age certainly helps, but there's no reason that you couldn't start later in life and still achieve mastery if you make the time to devote to it. The biggest caveat is that the reps need to be done with the correct technique, otherwise you'll spend more time trying to unlearn bad habits and rewrite your musle memory.. The more you're able invest in learning from others who know more than you, the faster you'll be able to accelerate the learning curve.

There is no doubt that it is possible later, and coaching seems to be the huge factor, but in real life it seems to hold, life gets in the way, you need time and reps. It is really interesting hearing stories of people that actually started late and still got to a high level. I still don't think that many. If Greg Badal and Dan Wamhoff started from scratch late, great examples, that is really amazing they were able to do it. Not as interested in people's idea of theory to get better, as in hearing real life stories. Horton was one that fell into what most good skiers did. Started young, had good coaching along way, got better and better. Can't comment if things would be different with even better coaching and technology and time, but what actually happened. The future should be better info and equipment for skiers than ever before. Of course, everyone could be better, shorten the rope again is the name of the sport. End in failure! What are the results for starting young?

• Baller
Schnitzer says he started at 13...three years of open water skiing then didn't ski for ten years until someone took him to McGinnes ski school and he tried the course. So he didn't start course skiing until he was 26 or so. Pretty Sure he has been into 41

• Baller
I would note young people learn differently than adults. They watch learn visually and copy what they see. They do it without instruction and through visualization. They do this without coaching. Coaching can even hamper the process. This is often the key to success for young athletes fortunate enough to learn watching highly successful athletes at there home base. They seem to just get it naturally and can have that good start for life. As an example children 4 to 10 in other sports such as Nordic asking that start by following Olympic athletes learn fast and well. They learn by games and following not by being told what to do. They do what they see. Not what there told. I expect for young people in the boat and on the shore watching g great skiers the same process occurs. Great way to learn.

• Baller
I agree with John. Age has nothing to do with it. Discipline, time on the water, coaching from people who are better (pro and friends) makes the difference. I would add a great driver is beyond helpful in establishing good ski technique. My first full pass in the course at was @ age 45 and yes, I'll run 38 before I'm 50.

• Baller
Agree starting age has nothing to do with success. Being obsessed and tons of time on the water is the key. Bought a course and boat at the age of 39 in 1995 (after watching ESPN Hot Summer Nights) and ran 2 @ 39 in 2004 at my first Nationals. At age 63, have run 39 a few times this year @34 mph.

• Baller
Skied on doubles at around age 7. Usually one ski trip for a week each year till early teens. Then didn't ski at all until 2000, around age 40, when I got regular course access. My average is around 4@38. Regular water time and as much quality coaching as you can manage makes the difference IMO.

• Baller

Lakeside, you are too kind. Got up on 2 skis when I was about 12. When I was 35, we bought a lake cottage (in Indiana) and I was a typical I/O boater. When a buddy of mine and I were free skiing he asked if I ever shortened the rope. THAT question changed my life trajectory. Went to Florida to a ski school in 1994 and tried the course for the first time. 3 days and being sore beyond belief, I made my 1st and only pass on my last try. ( bet it was 26 mph and the driver had to weave!) I was hooked and still am!

Keep at it. With desire and determination, you will keep progressing. Good luck.

• Baller

We grew up hacks pulling hard free skiing behind outboards. Ran 28 off 36 first year with any course time around age 19.. Then ran into physics. Never ran 35/36 in a tourney before age 35 but after dropping to 34 mph and running lots of 38s was able to run 35/36 just for fun.

I see amazing stuff from boys and girls skiers with early coaching.

• Baller

The 10,000 hour rule has been debunked since Gladwell made it popular in his book. Even the original researcher, Erikksen (sp?) says it was an average, and the students were not masters at the time of the study (20 yr old violinists). It was from 700 to 16,000 hours to become really good.

It's very plausible that just as many late starters can attain high levels of success as kids that grow up on lakes. There are many other variables other than time on the water even in a skill-sport like slalom