2019 Malibu Open - Finals

ROBOT

• Baller
We have timed the tropical systems perfectly this year. One did a driveby last week and looks like a smaller system will do a driveby next week. Winds will be generally the right direction since the jump can only fit in one spot and be good for spectating. I get to watch from the office for an hour then drive 25 minutes to the site and get my fill of great skiing for the next 2 days. Hope to see yall there.

@FracBurner - sounds like Elizabeth Montavon had to wait due to the prop coming off. Officials claiming she ripped the drive shaft out of the transmission. To me - that is one hell of an interesting statement. I have seen nothing but problems with Malibu boats in my time both working in the industry (for a Malibu dealer) and skiing/wakeboarding. Quality control has been absent since the company went public (but that is a discussion for another day).

Also - to be perfectly clear - this is all based on Elizabeth's side of the story at this point. I have not seen anything from Malibu yet. To me - should be an interesting topic as this is not a good image for Malibu this early in the event.

• Baller

@Shakeski her instagram post makes it sound like the prop shaft came loose from the transmission between her 2nd and 3rd pass that stinks to have to sit in your wet gear for 20 minutes and go again.

I've been seeing and hearing about a lot of issues with prop shaft couplers in the past few years - not isolated to Malibu - due to alignment and assembly errors. There is a reason to run double taper shafts.

• Baller

Not a good day for the Fred's. Freddy K crashed on his first jump and was done. Climbed into the boat and walked down the dock, so it didn't look too serious.

Fred Winter had a pretty gnarly crash @ 39. Held onto the handle long after his ski was off.

• Baller

A couple of questions and comments:

Any update on Marion? It didn't look good. What happened to Freddy in the prelims? It looked like he took a ski to the face.

Love hearing Freddy do jump commentary. Regina was her usual amazing self. I've only crossed paths with him twice, I think, but the Nate who was interviewed was the guy we always expected- relaxed, humble, willing to give credit to Will- if not for the absence of Nautique stickers on his ski, you'd never guess about all the other discussion going on here. Finally, Jacinta is truly an amazing athlete- what's a shame is that when she breaks 200' (and it will be soon), only die-hard ski fans will know what an amazing accomplishment it is. Not many guys have gone over 200' on the six-foot ramp and she'll do it at 5.5'. Her winning streak and margins of victory are amazing.

• Baller_

Marion has a torn MCL and some cracked vertebrae. She also bruised or collapsed a lung. She spent two nights in the hospital and was released this morning. She is banged up but her long term prognosis is good, so I understand. The knee injury appears to have happened on the ramp and everything else upon impact.

The safety team at the event did a great job getting her out of the water and her skis off before the EMT’s arrived.

We wish her a speedy and complete recovery.

Lpskier

• Baller
Ouch- thanks for the info, @lpskier. Good to hear, she'll be okay, but that's a bunch of injuries and recovery won't be fun. Any info on Freddie? He seemed fine announcing, but he doesn't pull out of an event lightly. If they said what happened to him, I missed it.