Cal Pro Am pictures - Sam Dumala

Horton

• Administrators

Sam Dumala has one of the most unique styles is skiing. Here are a few images of her gate and then heading into her on side for everyone to speculate about.

ad723adntanj.jpg

mt8sse2nwloy.jpg

o3kcvyqg7krz.jpg

5hftb6f46oof.jpg

jz3iodbwwy0z.jpg

vo5hj8cubei9.jpg

And one off side

2a8woaxjzk7c.jpg

• Administrators

@Brewski I'm not really sure the reverse c is a solid concept to begin with but it's not what she's doing.

her shoulders are angled away from the pylon extra far through center line and then when she switches edges the relationship between her spine and her legs doesn't change. it's not that her feet swing underneath her if that she's already in that position and she stays there

• Baller
I agree her gate is different, as it appears she's trying to mimic a turn outta 2, 4 ball. As for her 1 ball, unless the photos are outta order, she releases the handle, then regrips it, but the reverse-C looks like its in well in play.

• Baller
@Horton her upper body needs to be stacked on top of her lower body in this view of her cuts into 1.3.5. The ski is swinging too far away from the boat, causing her upper body to fall inside the ski arc too soon. As a result the ski loses speed and direction. This is why her 1.3.5 turns were on the tail at the shorter line lengths. Being stacked doesn’t just apply to the boat plane of view.

• Baller_
Pressuring/pulling/leaning on the line in her unique way to maintain swing connection and speed off CL while simultaneously removing any load on the ski allowing her to fallow the arc of the line and not get separated by continuing to load the ski past CL. Wow, that was a long sentence..and my guess. And yes, the slides are out of oder..no regrip.

• Administrators

@matthewbrown interesting analysis. Makes sense. What peaks my interest is that she is intentionally keeping her shoulders so hard to the outside. I am not saying I want to ski that way but I am saying it is unique.

w351hxpe0imh.jpg

t89m8dh7vhvy.jpg

z2fmcdfsr2ru.jpg

• Baller
Looks like she's just trying to keep load on the line thru the edge change and stay level into and thru the turn. As a LFF, the turn at zero and how I get over and stay over my feet to establish that first acceleration is most of the ballgame. Love the pics @Horton. Thanks for posting.

• Baller

Slalom is still an art. :o (with some science thrown in). We don't have to look like robots.

I see her keeping her shoulders back and getting the ski on a turning edge, which is a critical move in my playbook to run rope that doesn't reach the buoy. Lots of counter to keep the ski moving outbound. A lot of good things. BUT, I agree, this old fat guy could NEVER be found in those positions without a lot of Tito's!