Replace Old Ropes

OldGuysRule

• Baller

As I pulled my ski buddy up this evening he immediately started carving on his usual 28' off line length at 34 mph. I heard what I thought was the tension strap on the bimini "clicking" from the wind. It was actually the strands of the yellow ski rope loop around the pylon breaking strand by strand until it finally completely broke. The sound resonated through the pylon! Luckily, Bryan was directly behind the boat resulting in a not so serious fall. Frequent use of the same line length loop increased the failure of an old rope. We both vowed to buy new ropes tomorrow. Replace those old ropes!ghkad29y4kld.jpg

• Administrators
it's dangerous for the skier and it's dangerous for the people in the boat. I really don't understand why people are so cheap or stubborn that they won't change their rope more often.

• Baller_

I used to replace my ropes each year when I lived full time on NY. Since I started spending the winter in Florida, I started replacing twice a year. The ropes would show wear and get stiff, leading to elbow issues.

In November 2019, I bought the (then) brand new ML Optimized 2.0 rope and 1.062 Custom handle. I just replaced the handle, having worn through the rubber to the metal core, but my rope shows hardly any wear, even on my longest loop (-28) and my elbows are fine. I feel sort of bad about not buying a new rope. After all, Russell has a kid in college.

Lpskier

• Baller
@lpskier if you needed to replace your handle I would bet your rope is tired also and should be replaced. A rope wears out long before your a handle. With the Florida sun the fibers can become dry and just break. I don’t wait until my body tells me the rope is bad I change it about 1/3 of a season going through 3 ropes a year. Pay now for a new rope and be safe or pay later with a ER visit and time on the shoreline.