Mastercraft Prostar reviews

Reg

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new boat, hoping for some feedback. Just sold my '07 Mastercraft Prostar 197, great boat, but looking to upgrade. I have it narrowed down to a newer Prostar (2014 - 2016 seems to be in my price range), or a Nautique 200 (2011 +). I'm a 30 mph 15 off skier, but working into 32 mph & 22 off. A friend in our group has a '13 Nautique TE, skis real nice, little bit of a 22 off bump for my speeds. Have ski'd a newer prostar once, but only at 15 off. The feedback I keep seeing on forums is prostar is good up & down the rope at any speed. The prostar I recently ski'd, they had shaved a bit off the rudder to give it a little pre-load, I understand the 200 has the adjustment fin on the rudder. For the 200, the comment is always "depends on the 200." That latter comment is kinda turning me off on the 200, but they seem like really nice boats. So for the most part leaning towards the prostar, but would really appreciate some feedback from the group. I should note, there is also an '18 malibu TXI for sale nearby in my price range, but know nothing about them. Thanks for any help/advice.

• Administrators

I've had 5 ProStars in the last 36 months. All of them skied and drove very well. I suppose you could knit pick some differences between the five but if you are looking for product consistency I think the ProStar definitely fits the bill. The slow speed wakes on all five of them has been as small as any boat available. I skied up to my personal PB behind all five of those boats.

As for the 200: even though I'm a MasterCraft guy if I go to a tournament and I see a six liter 200 I know the pull is going to be good. That engine and that hull make a great combination. I personally don't care for any of the other engine combinations for the 200. As for consistencies of the slow speed wakes I don't know.

I would steer clear of that 18 Malibu - a lot of issues all around from the folks I know who own the new responses (trailer, engine, gel coat, cap construction alignment, etc). I have skied the new MC at a variety of speeds and lengths and have seen my dad and girlfriend rip behind the new MC at 28, 30, and 32 MPH (15' off) and see darn near the same wakes I see at 34/36 MPH 28' 32' and 35' - the new MC hull shape is amazing across the board and the pull is as solid as that of any 200. One major advantage I see in the MC is the space inside the boat. Which really does make a difference when you don't have a dock to stop at after every skier.

• Baller
I owned a '15 Prostar and ski behind my brother's 200. PS has a better over all wake; it's slower speed, longer line wake is better. The 200 drives better, and the tune-able rudder is great. There are some tweaks you can do to the PS to make it drive/track better, like change the rudder attachment point (pm me for pics of that), and add weight to the passenger side. The 200 really needs nothing, just jump in and drive. If one could have the PS wake and 200 drive-ability, you'd have the perfect boat. Drive and ski both before you buy, but you really can't go wrong either way:)

I drive and ski behind a ‘11 200, ‘10 200, and ‘14 pro star. I will pretty much echo most thoughts here. I ski from -22@ 32 to -32@ 34. I like the wake more on the prostar at -22 for both speeds and can’t tell a difference after that. As far as driving, the 200 is pretty dummy proof, but driving a tuned in ps is awesome. The ‘14 prostar is notorious for being a “bad steering” boat compared to the newest ones, but the one I drive is pretty darn solid. I would love to drive a newer one, assuming it would be even better.

Ditto

I ski behind a 2014 SN, a 2019 SN, and a 2017 Prostar

I was at 30mph, 15 off last year, and have progressed to 34mph, into 32 off this year. They all ski amazingly well ... they’re all a bit different ... but the wake / pull has never been anything but great on all of them.

I’d shop for the best deal and the one that just feels right and pull the trigger on that.

• Baller
We have a '17 prostar, I'm skiing about the same as you 32mph 15off working on 22off. I ski behind a lot of friends boats. As soon as I start thinking some of the others might be about as good, I get behind ours and realize how much better it is....especially at 22off. The rudder comes from the factory beveled on the right side for a little preload (not that some haven't shaved more, or some off the other side.)

• Administrators
FYI - some smart guys filed on my very first ProStar rudder. Since then I've left them all bone stock and I don't see any reason to do it.

• Baller

Where you are skiing now and near (or even long) future both are probably perfect and will help you progress. You will “get used” to either one just fine. They may be a bit different but both are great.

Biggest debate for me in your shoes of the 200 vs PS would be if you like the nautique rear side trunks or like the massive Prostar interior space. Depends how you plan to use the boat.

Once you determine that, find one for a good deal in good shape and go.

• Members

Try to drive and ski behind the boat before you buy it. Not just the same model year boat that someone you know has, but the actual boat you are going to buy. I currently ski behind and maintain three boats:

2010 200 w 5.7

2016 200 w 5.3L DI

2018 Prostar w 5.7L

I was also on the Nautique promo team through 2017, so I owned a few 200s in addition to the two listed above.

Different 200s have variable wakes at 15-28. I am not sure of whether that was due to different molds or slight differences in where the motor was mounted (my 2011 200 that had the worst wake was easy to remove drain plug, the ones with the best wakes were tight, so either the engine compartments were located slightly differently or the motors were more forward). I also haven't heard of a "bad wake 200" since about 2015, so maybe whatever the variable was at the factory was quietly fixed back then.

You would not want my 2011 200. You would have loved my 2014 200. My 2016 200 is awesome in all respects (@Horton can come over and ski behind it this weekend to see for himself).

Our 2018 Prostar has a great wake and once you get the hang of if, is fine to drive. By the way, it is for sale in Sacramento if you are a west coaster.

One thing Nautiques have going for them is build quality. Our 2010 200 is still doing great at 2300+ hours.

• Baller
Love both boats, but you really need to drive them both and see if one works better for you. We have 2 2019 Prostar's we ski and drive at our ski club (5.7 & a 6.2) and at our lake we have 2 200's and a 196 that we all drive and ski all the time. My wife runs30/22 off and 32/15 consistently and I ski into 35 off on a good day. My wife does not like driving the Prostar's at all, she vastly prefers driving any of the SN. She likes skiing behind both them. Personally feel that both are great boats but the SN are smoother to drive, the throttle, steering, tranny are all smoother. Maybe a slight edge at slow speeds, long line to Prostar for wakes (maybe?). SN also ride much smoother if use on public water. Some thoughts, both awesome!

• Baller
I’ve skied a lot behind a 15 200 and 15 prostar, both with a 5.7. 15 off wake is similar, I prefer the 200 it’s a little softer. 22 off wake the 200 is a little firmer than the prostar. Inside 22 off the wakes are really similar. Driving wise the 200 tracks like a train, doesn’t need weight or filing of rudders or anything (has an adjustable rudder). The prostar drives decent, but definitely not as well as the 200, lots of playing with weight and adjusting the steering connection as well to find the optimum spots. If you have someone who’s a newer driver or not a real experienced drive go with the 200 as you will end up with a more consistent pull every time.

• Baller
The MC and SN are both great and the reviews and advice above seem very accurate. I do want to find one of those Nautiques that doesn't need weight for a nice ride. From a driver and skier perspective I like some weight if there is not an observer.

• Baller

I have skied behind and driven all of the big 3. I think the 2017 and beyond Malibu's and SN200's drive fairly similarly. The Mastercraft has a totally different feel behind the wheel. Something to consider if your driver struggles keeping the boat straight.

The Mastercraft layout is awesome. I just sold our 2017 Malibu and ordered a 2020.

I also own a 2012 sn200.

CS

• Baller
I generally assume that a newish purpose built direct-drive ski boat from Malibu, MC or Nautique are all going to have a good ski wake and zero off and feel pretty similar holding on to the handle. Personally, my buying criteria focuses on how I like the boat when I'm sitting in the driver seat, how its laid out, build quality, fit and finish, and value related to price. There are some differences in how these boats drive and how they are built. I personally think that Nautique does the most things right when it comes to build quality and driver experience (which is why I have a 200), but here is no doubt the Prostar has a lot of things going for it (like the layout and super sweet bow cover). The best thing you can do is try and get a little seat time in the each of the boats you are looking at and decide for your self.

One more question for the group, there's a lot of '14 prostars on the market with low hours & good prices, anyone have experience with a '14? Have seen some reviews saying first year of that hull, little tough to drive. Thanks!

@reg, like I said in my above comment, I have heard the same thing. But, I haven’t been in a newer one. If it’s a good deal on a ‘14 I wouldn’t hesitate. I have probably 50 hours driving a ‘14 prostar and probably 100 behind a ‘11 200. Different, yes. But, I don’t love one over the other.

• Baller
I am a tournament driver and have driven the Prostar every year since it came out (as well as skied tournaments behind them). The 14's I drove were a little loose tracking wise especially on the 1,3,5 side. 15 was better and 16 was good enough that after 4 Nautiques, I bought one. They have gotten just a bit better each year IMO. The ergonomics are fantastic (I really like being able to set the driver seat back angle). The ZO screen was the easiest to use, probably still is, but the MB and SN screens are close enough to be a non issues now. The walk-around space is 2nd to none which I really like. Comes with a great trailer and if you opt for the Ramp-N-Clamp option, super easy to recover as you simply drive onto the trailer until the system clicks the bow eye in. If you're looking at a Prostar, I don't think you will be disappointed at either end of the line. If you decide to go with the 200, I don't think you will be disappointed with that choice either. I was about to buy a 200 when I tried the 16 Prostar and bought it instead. No love lost for Nautique, the Prostar just fit what I needed better (at a lower price).

• Baller

Drive a potential 5.7 2014. My brother had one, wake was great, was anemic on power. He got a 6.2 after one season and it was fantastic.

Transmission, power, I dunno. First time I drove that 2014 5.7 I was like wow this is seriously weak...how did they let these out of the factory? All else was awesome but geez no power.

Have heard it may have been transmission adjust after 2014 will let others comment but sounds like the 5.7 issue went away

• Baller

I've owned a 2017 5.7 Prostar for about a year and have recently driven and skied behind a SN 200.  In the past year I've skied between 24 and 30 mph, 15 off.

Roominess  + 8 Prostar

Wakes  - difference negligible

Layout - + 10 Prostar

Throttle + 2 SN 200

Hull  + 2 SN 200

Zero Off interface + 10 Prostar

Engine startup + 3 SN 200

Interior quality - + 2 Prostar

Seat comfort + 3 Prostar

Rudder + 3 SN 200

Bow cover + 5 Prostar

Trailer + 2 Prostar

Tracking + 2 SN 200

Hole shot - difference negligible

I've owned only Nautiques since 1980 until last year and I'm very happy with the Prostar.

Can anyone give some advice on the prop for a 2019 with a 6.2L. Reading lots of differing thoughts. Currently running a 3 blade 14x13 and finding the hole shot awesome but at 36mph revs at 4300rpm and runs out of puff at 42mph. No altitude involved. Anyone experience the same and run an alternative prop to get better all round numbers?

• Baller
I have had a 2015, and a 2018 PS. Absolutely the best slalom wake for multiple speeds and line lengths. I prefer a little more torque steer so grind the rudder a bit. Then tracking is right on. (I'm a senior driver and drive them all.)

• Baller
@coach3, I’ve read a number of comments re: grinding the Prostar rudder to improve tracking or steering. Any thoughts on why the factory doesn’t do this? You’d think they would want these boats to perform their best right out of the box.

• Baller
@Cnewbert It does come from the factory with a bevel on the right side of the rudder, causing a little tension toward the right in the steering. Not sure if this wasn't done on earlier models. I'm sure people are doing a little more on their own, or I've seen some people that feel its too much and grind the left side to soften that.

• Baller

Rudder torque to the right was more than I was comfortable with(pic shows how it came from factory, ground on the starboard side)so I slowly hand filed the port side(arrows) over several ski sessions until I had the feel I wanted.

Easy to do and very little chance of screwing up if you do a bit at a time.

fdz8do7zen7t.jpeg

• Baller

@Cnewbert Yes the factory does put a little bevel providing torque steer. Some boats need a little more if it doesn't bring the steering past neutral. Some don't.

If you grind more on top of what they have molded it will be correct. It is on the starboard side of the rudder.

• Members

This thread is killing me, we bought a ProStar but it went into storage right away and have a long (VERY LONG) winter before spring to enjoy it.....heck the snow is not even on the ground :-)

It was at a ski school and was setup to pull to the right, in the couple of test drives it did make it easier to go straight. They also did a rudder pin adjustment to make the handling better than stock, that is their words for handling as I would not know as I have not driven another late model PS.

• Baller
@mmskiboat I have just had he solution for you. Send your Prostar down to me in Florida. I’ll keep it limbered up all winter long so come spring it will be in perfect running condition for you. Nothing worse for a boat than sitting idle for months at a time. I won’t charge you a dime!

• Baller

@Horton had a positive experience filing the rudder so just assumed it was just that easy. Only time I’ve ever done it.

@mmskiboat I feel your pain. My PS arrived after the ‘18 season was over and had to wait for spring. Spent a lot of time cleaning, cut polishing, waxing and fiddling.

I’ve read about the rudder pin adjustment as well and think it’s just moving the steering connection point of the rudder to the inward rudder tiller arm hole(arrow). I’m going to move mine and see how it feels(in spring). ?

hdt2p4clw031.jpeg