Can this ski be salvaged?

Texas6

• Baller
I'm not sure I would be comfortable putting my kid on that ski, even after real careful JB Weld work. A new ski is considerably less than the cost of a moderate to significant injury from a ski break. Just my opinion though, maybe there are others here who would disagree with me.

• Baller
@eleeski would say glue, clamp and go ski. I agree with @vtmecheng I would put him on a new ski. I would certainly reach out to Radar and see if they will help out somehow. Frequently the ski companies are pretty good about this kind of stuff.

• Baller

The damage is way at the back of the ski. It doesn't carry skiing loads. It needs to be structural enough to hold the fin block in place and resist fin loading. Depending on why it failed, it could be safely repaired.

This might require laminating resin instead of JB Weld, adding some more carbon and some intricate clamping (like a mold). It's not an easy fix.

It's likely damage from storage or handling (airlines?). If so, I'd trust a repair.

On second thought, the ski is shot. Send it to me for proper disposal!

Eric

• Baller

Treat your boy to a new ski, no youngster wants to stand on the dock with something that has been glued together, also the opportunity to reinforce looking after your gear, one of the conditions attached to having a new ski.

Personally I wouldn,t want to stand on it !

• Baller
Ridiculous I know but , I have a sportstube 3, with expanding foam, I have made a insert which is two halves which is moulded to the shape of my ski which slides into the sportstube with the ski not on its side , but layyng flat and without bindings , can just about get a handle, line, shorts and gloves in and thats it, I always travel like this after having two 1500 dollar skis wrecked by the Airlines

• Baller

@Carl,

Good point, it all happens so fast at this age. Chad was. Ice enough to loan us a spare 66” 2016 Vapor to finish out the season. His Pro-Build is a 65”. If he skis well on the 66, I think I will know which way to go next spring.