Is the 2017 Radar Vapor Pro Set right for me?

Buck

• Baller
I'm 5'11, 200 lbs and am an open water skiier. Until this past year, I wasn't able to ski consistently enough to really work on my form and skills. Now that I live on a lake and ski 2 - 3 x per week (at least during the summer), I am looking for a ski to do advance my form and skills on this coming summer. I would put my skills at intermediate - advanced (never skiied a course, probably never will). I have been skiing on a 68" HO Extreme Competition at 34 mph to this point. Looking at purchasing a used 68" 2017 Radar Vapor Pro Set. Is this a good ski for that purpose?

• Baller
I have that ski and use it for early and late season cold water skiing. Works really well in rough water conditions also, wind and open water rollers from other boats. I was ready to throw my '18 in the fire but the water warmed up and it started to work for me but again, still use the '17 and would never part with it.

• Baller
I ski early morning before heading to work (6:45 a.m. on Lake Tapps in WA) and though it is open water, I can pretty much get glass most of the time, or a little bit of wind ripple. I refuse to ski in the slop created by other boats in the afternoons. That being said, is the Senate still my go to ski?

• Baller
I would message @brooks or Rossi but honestly I think the Senate is an awesome choice for what your looking to accomplish. Even the 17 shape is still one of the best. Had a 17 Senate Lithium and that thing ripped. I updated it to the newer style fin block to have a better fin and adjustability. I sold it to my ski partner and he loves it. The 18-19 are just plain awesome as well. The Vapor would definitely work though especially if you only ski calm conditions. I’ve owed a few Senates and just feel like it floats. So smooth. Always good deals to be had on Ski it again.com. That’s only my opinion though. Like everything in life though, different strokes for different folks. Can’t go wrong either way.

• Baller
Thanks, I'll see if I can find a good deal on a slightly used Senate. I have always used full double wrap boots on my HO Extreme and my Kidder Red line before that. I don't know anything about these new ski boots I am seeing. Is it OK to go with the old style wrap boots on these newer skis?

• Baller

A Senate would be awesome for what you want to do. I loved skiing on Tapps growing up! Good memories!

Those old wrap-style bindings are super heavy. I switched to the newer lace-up style a few years ago and I can’t ever see going back. I mostly open-water ski and run the course some. 225 lbs (been working on that) and have a 71” 2015 Lithium Senate. Great ski!

• Supporting Member
Just be aware that adjusting to different bindings is usually much harder than adjusting to a new ski. So for a smooth transition you could move your existing boots over, get used to the new ski, and then try some new boots.

• Baller

@Buck I just went through this myself. Picked up a used 2018 Senate Lithium from a member here and swapped over the bindings from my '03 KD. The ski is fast, but stable, and doesn't seem to have any bad habits. Yes, the older high wraps are heavier but what impact that will have? Who knows? @Than_Bogan is right because I felt instantly comfortable on the Senate after skiing on my old KD for so many years.

kq678ewvivsz.jpg

• Baller
Its the Reflex universal plate, I have no idea why the guy put it on there, as the ski is pre-drilled for just about anything. My old '90's era high wrap boots are on narrow plates that don't fit, but I ordered a pair of Wiley's high wraps that will fit. Kyle at Wiley's cringed at the thought of stacking plates. Attempting to remove the plate with that heavy duty 3M stick-um, would certainly damage the ski though, so it looks like I am stuck stacking plates. Not sure how to attach a photo to this post.