GM Strike trickle-down and Boat Engines

UWSkier

• Baller

Wondering if this is having any effect on the ski tug industry for 2020. Anyone hearing anything on the promo front? It's definitely impacting the Wake market. Heard today that Malibu is not going to be able to supply enough of their marinized GM blocks to meet production demand and will be augmenting supply by putting Indmar (Raptor) engines in some of the 2020s.

Kindof a bummer as Malibu is just getting started with their in-house engines and they've been getting great reviews.

• Baller

@UWSkier we shall see. I literally have no dog in that fight and was surprised by the feedback.

My brand choice is entirely based on vintage. Like late 80s ski nautique then early 90s mc then back to SN then Malibu in the late 90s then back to SN till 2015 then MC again.

So just repeating the feedback. Part of it is the customer service side of 200K+ boats is very demanding. The ski segment bring small enough that the promo sorts it

• Baller
I think many skiers would sure like the option for a SMALLER engine. Less gas burn, lighter, better wake, and possibly less expensive. Most skiers do not need these big horsepower engines, sans 200+ foot jumpers. So let them have the big power, and the rest of us chose the fuel miser.

• Baller_

@coach3

First the manufacturers need to build a sub 3000 pound boat with a reasonably clean bottom to utilize a minimal hp engine. But in today's world there is no such thing in the inboard world as the smallest available today is a Hd5.3 rated at nearly 400 hp or a 6.0 rated at around 400 hp. The 5.7 sbc is no longer available to the marnizers.

These these big tubs that the manufacturers now build need the over 400 hp and big torque numbers just to get out of the water.

If one wants a economical ski boat better look at older lighter boats that have the 5.7 already installed.

I think skierjp is spot on! the GM direct injection engine's especially the 6.2 LT1 introduced in the 2014 corvette are an engineering marvel. more Hp, torque and fuel economy while I do agree the Chevrolet 5.7 or Ford 5.8 engine's are great power plants there is no comparison, the 5.7 was developed in the 1960's and hasn't been in a production vehicle in close to 25yrs