Go to the gym?

Horton

• Supporting Member
Probably the biggest reason my back never got better than 80% all season was that I didn't make the time for maintenance exercise -- I was just vaulting and skiing. That doesn't quite work for a 40+ year old with a Constitution of 9...

• Baller
Besides skiing (water and snow) am in the pool or open water year 'round. On the bike some (but way less than I'd like), squats and dead lifts and some other miscellaneous body weight stuff at home, and way more stretching now than I ever have prior to this year. I can't fit it all in the way I'd like, though, with this ding dang job. Retiring end of 2020 and then ramping everything up.

• Baller

My wife and I go to Orangetheory fitness at least 5 days/ week year round. After 20 years of religious home gym use with elliptical, treadmill, free weights, and structured workouts, I was amazed at the gains I made in a more structured “coached” environment. They do regular competitions to add a gamification element that really helps us stay motivated and engaged. Locations worldwide so I just drop in whenever I travel.

Everyone plateaus eventually, but my current plateau is 10-15lbs lighter and much stronger than when I started. I’d like to think my skiing consistency has improved as well. 250k calories burned since June 2018 and a drawer of board shorts that are now too big.

• Baller
I think I read on Schnitzs site sometime long ago that you can only ski yourself into shape for the level you're skiing now. To be fit for the next lines/speeds you need to improve your fitness away from skiing. That always made sense to me and I've experienced it the last couple years so been trying to improve my fitness more away from the course.

• Baller
During the season, I ski 3 days on average. That’s all I have time for with two kids and a full time job. In the off season I try to lift and rehab my injuries 3-4 times a week. I really focus on shoulder and hip mobility so that I have fewer injuries throughout ski season.

• Members

Love all this.. as a recreational skier myself, wife of pro skier @MarcusBrown and career strength and conditioning coach/functional nutritionist, nothing makes me happier than to see water skiers doing something for themselves besides waterskiing. No doubt that skiing is a heck of a workout... BUT... it's also an asymmetrical position, taking high load hits and not moving our joints through full range of motion.. over and over again. I'd argue that most people on here want to ski for as long in their life as they can (aka: longevity), right?. The only way this is going to happen is if you stay injury free by strengthening weaknesses, balancing out asymmetries and regaining joint mobility/stability/function (and of course proper nutrition and recovery). This can be done in a variety of ways (not one "right" way), but should include some type of strength training, mobility training, and assessments/reassessments so you know what you're actually working toward and can see your progress. I'd also argue that most people on here want to get a higher buoy count, right? Having a plan YEAR ROUND on and off the water is the answer.

If you're interested in learning what @MarcusBrown and I have to offer for coaching with FlowPoint Method, hit us up here or email at flowpointmethod@gmail.com

• Baller

Covid forced me to set up a home gym in the garage and it's been one of the best decisions we've ever made. Stall mats, a rack, KBs, DBs, bumper plates, his and hers Oly bars, air bike, rower, bunch of accessory equipment, etc. and we're good to go. So good. Tons of use all year round.

My wife is doing FPM and loving it ^^^ @JennyLaBaw . Home gym space + FPM is a great match!