Ever get something wrapped up in a prop

jayski

• Baller
Was driving my 81 MC on the trailer years ago, someone with and outboard boat had dropped their cable tow harness in the water. Yep, it rapped around the prop and rudder bent the rudder and all three blades they were so damaged it could not be repaired. New prop and rudder. To make the day even worse I was pulling the boat out do to a burned exhaust Valve that happened that day.

• Baller
That beats both my stories. Taking the kids skiing on a busier and windier Saturday afternoon. Rope drifted/blew under the platform. Wrapped it on the prop but was able to unwind while boat was in water. My buddy wrapped the jump on the prop. In an attempt to save time and wet the jump faster he did a power turn with the boat in order to spray the ramp. Oops. Wrapped one of the anchor lines on the prop. We were able to unwrap it after about 15 minutes.

• Baller
One phase of the I4 ultimate project in orlando had them put the floating yellow containment barriers under the bridge that connects the lakes. On our first pass under the bridge after the barriers were removed, I caught a rope that was attached to a 3 foot, 25 pound steel spike that was used to anchor the barrier. It came up, hit the prop and bottom of the boat and shut the engine down quick fast and in a hurry! I had to unravel enough rope to get the spike on to the platform to take a little tension off the rope so I could cut and unravel. Took probably 45 minutes to clear the prop and an almost 1k insurance claim to contractor to get the boat back to usable. When I filed the claim they asked how I knew it was their spike, I sent them a picture of it laying in my back yard and asked them if they wanted it back! They didn’t. They paid the claim within two weeks.

• Baller

Fixing cable course entrance gates. Mainline ended up resting on one of the prop ears as I had lifted it up to reattach ball. Dropped everything down but didn’t notice that it didn’t sink properly due to muddy water.

The moment the prop turned it cut through the cable mainline and wrapped around the prop. 15 minutes later outta breath, a bit of blood and cold we were unwrapped and on our way. No prop damage luckily. Fixed the mainline the next day and made sure nothing was caught.

• Baller

Years ago when taking buoys off for winter with water just above freezing (yes I skied in that stuff when younger), we some how got the loosened stainless cable wrapped a few times around the prop. We didn’t have any dry suits or even swim trunks in the boat thinking it would be an easy task to pop the buoys off. I jumped in the water with just my Jockey briefs on. Man was that cold. No damage to the prop. Lots of shrinkage though!

Now we always have a dry suit or wetsuit handy when we pull the course!

• Baller
You haven't lived until you not only wrap the main cable of a portable course around the prop, but because it was a sinkable course it also had the air lines too! Adding to the pressure of untangling, it was 6:45 am and everyone had to get to work. A bit of blood and a few adjectives we got it, not a fun morning.