Damn Coronavirus!

Garn

• Baller

Governor just extended AZ stay-at-home until 5/15. I'm not sure I get it... There were a few reasons given for the lockdowns.

1. Don't overwhelm hospitals.

2. Let us stock up on required PPE

3. Let us get a better understanding of what we're dealing with and how to prevent ourselves from catching it.

By all accounts, removing New York from the equation, we've been incredibly successful in all of these objectives. With NY out of the picture, our handling of this virus nationally is on the level of Germany when you look at cases and deaths per million people.

The goal of the lockdowns isn't to prevent people from getting the disease. It was to ensure we didn't create a massive wave that swamped our capacity. Mission accomplished. Now, let's see what this "new normal" is all about and start strategically relaxing restrictions.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@UWSkier exactly...time to think about how to live in the presence of Corona-virus...it’s going to be here until there is a vaccine.

Screw elections...we have to balance disease carnage and economic carnage. If people behave we can do this. If people think opening is a free for all the way it was they may be in for a surprise.

I will be watching the states that open first.

I was at Runnings last weekend getting parts for my boat lift...I was one of a few in a mask...not to protect me but protect others. Just keeping my droplets to myself and pissing off all the Gophers with my Hawkeye mask!

This forum is made up of smart people...in the near term be smart. It’s good for all of us and for economic recovery.

• Baller
Cracks me up - these guys are OWNERS of Accelerated Urgent Care Centers...lol. The website states "But, we are not an emergency facility"....BUT, the scrubs they are wearing during their self serving press conference have "Emergency Physician" embroidered on them....pretty much sums up their credibility! They are 2020 top Panda winners!

• Baller_

It's really not that hard ...

1. Stay at least 6' apart

2. Wear a mask when around other humans

3. Wash your hands/use hand sanitizer/don't touch your face in public!

Today is the 1st day at my vet clinic that I did not have to hand out a mask - all clients came in prepared - it's the new normal and so easy to do. I expect to require a mask thru the end of the year at my vet hospital.

The sooner these basics are embraced, the sooner America will be up and running again.

This is not a political problem, this is an incredibly important health crisis where basic steps can make such a huge difference in how it progresses.

• Baller

Doctors here in AZ are seeing lots of asymptomatic "healthy" young people who've recovered from the disease without ever knowing they had it. On chest X rays, their lungs look dreadfully bad. I mentioned this back on page 3 that they'd seen this in China. Wonder if there's been follow up on those patients to see if they've recovered lung function in the 5+ months since that post.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/continuing_coverage/coronavirus_coverage/new-arizona-concern-study-shows-asymptomatic-covid-patients-could-have-long-term-lung-damage/article_64903642-bb36-11ea-b48c-efd576ab9ba1.html

• Baller

Well, we're a year into this. Lots of vaccination progress in most places. And we have learned a lot about Covid-19.

I hope to ski the same amount as last year, which was a record. Remote working and little travel helped then, and still now.

• Baller

@6balls the public just doesnt get it. My 3 local hospitals are still at capacity. The orthopedic groups arent allowed to do most of their elective surgery.

This isnt being state mandated it's the hospital groups.

But the public has no sense of where the medical system is in terms of capacity.

• Baller

We have more vaccine than we can give away at this point b/c people refuse it. Demand was super high intitially for those who desired it and it went as fast as we could get it. Now we are past that and those who don't want it...well...don't take it.

A friend of mine refused and was just in the ICU for 3 weeks--he thought he was going to die. Like I said don't get me started I've got every story there is from old people doing ok to old people not, from young people doing ok to young people not.

At one point we had 4, yes 4...total ICU beds open in the entire state of MN--ICU's are needed for far more than coronavirus and we got down to 4 beds in the state.

I digress...waterski forum. Be safe out there and enjoy some skiing.

• Baller_
The vaccine works oh but wait, if you’ve taken the vaccine, still wear a mask and stay social distance and avoid large crowds as well ....is the message being pushed. Worst public relations effort for taking a vaccine ever. No incentive to get one.

• Baller
If y’all take it we’re done...group effort...that simple. Then Go hug your loved ones, go to restaurants, kids in school. Don’t and it percolates. The virus doesn’t care and doesn’t have a white flag. We can be done sooner or we can be done later. I’d prefer sooner.

• Administrators
hey I haven't really been keeping track of this thread. it's distinctly not about water skiing. at the moment it's not really about politics which is the thing that I disallow but I'm leaning towards closing the thread and making you guys talk about your fin settings or something

• Baller

@Wish people have to realize the next hurdle is variants as a virus shifts. This is a random process but also basically a frequency issue. The more hosts and the more spread the more mutation. It's a feed back loop.

Your comment is essentially the social issue that is being faced, the vaccine reduces to a non zero amount the risk of transmission and spread. But it's a non zero amount. What that % s depends on the efficacy of the vaccines all of which were developed based on earlier strains with out the current mutations.

If people get vaccines and then say hey I'm immune business as usual and then they spread a variant that is more contagious or that the vaccine is less efficacious on then we are in for more years of this pandemic.

The solution is get your vaccine. Follow precautions afterwards until the prevalence drops. And then following guidance reduce the precautions.

If you have vaccine hesitance then schedule a visit with the physician you most trust and ask their opinion not google.

But the risk currently is that the high level of cases is basically a petri dish for viral mutation and if that mutation blows through the vaccine efficacy then bang sars-cov-21. We will have to rename it because it will be functionally a new virus and the vaccine process will need to restart.

As is the vaccine producers are working to get ahead of the variants.

• Baller
But not wearing the mask isn't the carrot on the stick it's that most research says vaccinated people are unlikely to die or need 2 weeks of hospitalization- which is tre expensive and also persons with severe cases have an apparent increase of erectile dysfunction so there is that.

• Baller
If you don't think masks actually have an effect, head to your local school and ask any classroom teacher how many boxes of kleenex they've gone through this year vs. a regular year. And to save you the suspense.. My classroom goes through 12-15 boxes on a normal year. So far I haven't gone through ONE whole box. We've had students every day all year, so the comparison is valid. Other teachers from other schools/districts have said the same. The common-cold is a type of corona virus as you all know. It can also be spread airborne as you all know. It was almost non-existent this year as was the flu. Only one kid puked in school all year. That's a record. Masks have made a huge difference. As for Covid 19, we have had only 2 cases where we can say with probability that it spread from student to student while at school. Thanks to video cameras, we can see that these were situations where the students were passing a Juul back/forth thus direct contact with mucus membranes. Any other Covid-19 cases (and there were lots of them) were from outside of school non-mask wearing situations like private club sports, gatherings, or family members who were infected. Keep wearing them in social situations as much as possible. Help bring the numbers down while more people get the vaccine.