How will COVID-19 impact your ski life?

Horton

• Administrators

Pretty much everyone feels the COVID-19 in some part of their life. Personally it is not a big deal but for others in my extended family it is HUGE. I think everyone’s experience is going to be different.

How is this going to change your water ski life?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

Not sure yet. Have a few standing invitations to go down to FL on ski lakes to get out of the big city. I am assuming it will be ski more when it is all said and done. Tournaments will be reduced though.

The current outlook for my coaching jobs will be that they will most likely be closed for 4-8 weeks at a min. Working from home so just need to get the ski boat in the water here at home.

• Baller
In sales...they said don’t come into the office, work from home and limit contact with customers. Will be working more from the Lake I guess so that will give me more opportunity to ski. Stay healthy out there people.

• Baller
Assuming this lasts until after the ice melts It won't impact us much. I typically only ski behind my boat with my family, so unless they shut down the public boat launches we'll be doing more skiing since we will be allowed to do less other things.

• Baller
Probably canceling our annual ski school trip to FL. At least early tournaments will likely be impacted. Will try to ski more within my limits so I don't end up in the ER. Other than that I plan to ski the normal amount. Will make up for missing ski school and tournaments with practice.

• Baller
It's a mixed bag for me as I travel for work but with all televised sporting events being cancelled I will have much more time at home. However, the bad news is that I live/ski on a public lake and every kid that is home from school is out on the lake. I tried to get in a set before dark last night and there were 5 jet skis, 2 Bass boats and I Wake/surf boat near my course.

• Baller_

Unless I actually get the related disease, I'm planning to ski as much or more. It would be the same if I got a sudden season affecting injury - an unexpected change in plans caused by that situation.

If I were to suddenly lose my job and health insurance during the economic fallout, that might affect how I ski (more carefully), but I've already paid my dues to my clubs and I'm sure I can scrape together gas money to get there during our short season. So, the frequency should be relatively unchanged. A new job out of the area could alter that, which would be the same with a sudden employment change under other circumstances.

Planning and hoping for the best.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

The pandemi will go on for another year or so.

The effects will be huge.

If me (is it me or I?) and my friends are healty enough we will ski as usual at home and nearby clubs.

There are travel restrictions that prohibit ski vacations abroad...

• Baller

Had there been an option for “ski the same amount”. I would have chosen it.

Reality is full time WFH now makes it easier to ski more and I don’t have to get up before Sunrise to get sets in before work...

• Baller

It has meant postponing our trip from Aus to the US in May which was going to involve skiing.

In saying that, all of the kids sports have been cancelled which will mean more river time here for as long as the weather holds out!

• Baller

Australian nationals over easter have just been cancelled, and it has pretty much ended our competitive season a month early.

If this all escalated a week or so earlier, moomba would have been at great risk of not happening.

• Baller

Working from home with no travel being planned. With all other extra-curricular activities pretty much canned, I’ll be on the lake more, as long as everyone is healthy. Less tournaments, at least early season tournaments. We haven’t yet seen the effects in much of the US, so I’m kinda going on best case scenario, I suppose.

I worry about the guys who make their living coaching. I think if you’re close (driving distance) to a ski school, there’s probably never going to be a better time to get coaching. I do also think that we all probably should try the “self quarantine” for two weeks. Italy has shown us, this disease truly needs to be respected.

• Baller
I get the feeling the UK is going to be in lockdown within a week or so, then all bets are off... Hopefully the weather will break and we can just go camp out at the ski club for a month or so, otherwise no skiing for another 3 months :( Just hope we can travel in July/August as that's peak ski season here

• Baller_
Hopefully no impact although personally have already been impacted as on a full flight 3 days ago when the ski resorts closed so missing some gatherings due to concern of others and a relative who is hospitalized (hopefully only the flu but ...) and his wife cannot visit so stressful for her. Who knows what comes next.

• Baller

As of today almost everything and everything ski related was shut down here in Greece. So no chance for a pull whatsoever.

I do believe that the measures needed to be taken and the world will be different after this is over, but it is sad knowing that there is no chance of a pull for an unknown period of time.

• Baller

Last Year, my wife and I did a Ski road trip in our Camper van and hit a bunch of snow ski resorts and then headed south and ski some amazing water ski lakes. best part of trip was new friends we made! It was supposed to be a 1 off trip and sell the van!

It was so much fun, that we decided to do it again this April, but do a new route and then add in a few favorites from Last season like Bennett's, Cedar Ridge and Cottonwood if they would have us back!

But we all need to be safe and hunker down till this curse passes through! The Van is parked and our lakes are frozen!

• Baller_
@Horton, I think I see two things in that picture: spending quality time with your daughter and draining the lake to rework the shoreline. Which were you referring to?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.