How do you prepare the week before a tournament?

TEL

• Baller
As my first tournament is approaching this Saturday :#. How much do you ski? What do you work on? How are your nerves? Besides my ski equipment, food, liquid, shelter to stay out of the Florida sun what else should I take?

• Baller_

@TEL awesome?. Have you skied the tournament site before? If not, a practice set the day before can help alot. Another thing is that skiers tend to overtrain for tournaments. A day off can be really helpful. If you can practice at the site friday, take thursday off and do cardio or stretch. If no practice, don’t ski or do much strenuous friday.

Relax and enjoy. We all started there!

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@Bruce_Butterfield I just skied the site 2 weeks a go and set a new practice PB I have since backed that up at my home site. @ski6jones I will try to remember Thanks

• Baller
After 32 years of tourneys I still get some nerves and it’s still fun. A part of a banana is good fuel and seems to calm me before a round. Practice on Friday and then dinner with friends is still one of my favorite things. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

Fun! Drew's tournament should be great, they always do a great job. Action is also fun. A lot of long time buddies from Michigan there! All great people, have a good time, make sure to ask how you can help and I'm sure you'll be part of the team in a hurry!

• Administrators
@TEL since you have skied the site before I would say rest is key to a good performance. I would not ski Thursday or Friday My only other suggestion is to treat the tournament set as if was practice - in other words make an effort to not get excited.

• Baller

Well, at my first tournament I found myself a little out of my league. The tournament was billed as a L and C tournament - but I ended up being the only C skier. No pressure! Some of my fellow competitors on Saturday: Freddy Winter 1.5 at 43off, Jonathan Travers, Adam Sedlmajer, Paige Rini, Sam Dumala, and 19 other skiers that ran 35 off or better. It was fun meeting and watching them. The downside is that I was last to go so my nerves were out of control. Plus several of my ski buds came to watch. We had rain all day off and on due to the Cristobal storm out in the Gulf. Finally, I am in the water. It’s 1 pm and I’ve been waiting since 8 am. I am going out at 22off - I’ve run it countless times in practice. I get a good gate, ball 1, ball 2, ball 3, ball 4 - and I think I am done till I see the gate way, way in front of me. Very disappointing to say the least. Five hours later it’s finally time for my second run. Now it’s 6 pm and we are under a tornado warning in the Orlando area. I was in and out of my ski 3 times due to rain and wind delays. Rain turned to a drizzle and I agreed to go ahead and ski. I am the last skier of the day and at this point I just want it over. Everyone on the dock reminds me there are 6 buoys (ha ha, I deserved that!). Off I go with a cross wind. I run a good 22 off, a half decent 28 off, and ended up with a score 2 at 32off - not bad considering I just ran my first 32 off three weeks ago. Drew and crew run a first-class tournament with a beautiful site. Looking forward to another tournament next weekend. This one is a class C and here’s hoping the weather is better.

62A295E8-F24C-410D-85B5-0669400BCE9D.JPGb27omjzcr8e1.jpeg The wave of relief to my GF and ski buds