When do we get GUT 105?

C5Quest

• Baller
This question is mostly directed at the “Adams.” As the season gets underway I’m working hard on GUT 101-104 and the Connection and Swing thread. Early edge change and getting the ski pointed down course while maintaining the connection and standing tall has really changed the way I ski. Finally making some progress. Any word on when we get the next installment (GUT-105)?

• Baller

@C5Quest we have several outlines written up, so there is some progress but admittedly it hasn’t been a priority lately. We’re definitely planning to create more installments of GUT. The Connection and Swing thread is sort of a blueprint for the next one or two installments.

I’m curious about how helpful the existing articles are to people? Are they too abstract? Anything that we could do better for future articles?

• Baller

@AdamCord

I’m really enjoying all the podcasts and theory being shared at the moment but for me it started with the Gut articles and of course learning the Denali skis.

It’s great to see and have you share the knowledge you guys have learned over the years.

Please keep up the info as you have time to share it. Only improvement to current articles would be to add more ?.

Thankyou.

• Baller
The articles are deep in theory and a different perspective on what we’ve always been taught. The hard part for me is having to too much in my head when I go ski and try to implement the theory.

• Baller_
What I like about the articles is that now I have a base theory or foundation. I look at skiing from a different lens when I watch anyone ski. Especially pros. It starts to make sense why some skiers are just that good. The other element GUT helps me with is ski advice from coaches or someone in the boat sharing an observation of my skiing. I can put those comments into the GUT theory and decide if the advice or observations squares with it. Over the years I have gotten some counterproductive comments/advice based on what I know now from GUT. What it’s done for me is basically given me the fountain of youth. I ski with less load, effort and stress and have not lost my buoy count as I age. Old habits do die hard though. Still learning. I don’t try to ski with all of that in my head. Generally I film every set and in reviewing the film I can pick at one maybe two of the obvious things to work on that gets me closer to optimum GUT. I see how the Adams have influenced what I hear from others these days and even read or hear on the internet. And for the better. Hoping that continues. They are unlocking what makes the best skiers in the world the best.

• Baller

I am a fan of the GUT articles due to my engineer brain. If I could make one suggestion to improve their usability for me personally it would be to have a single takeaway action for each article.

I work best when I have one thing at a time in the brain when I am skiing. If I have too much I’m trying to do at once it all goes to hell. So if each arrival just had that one takeaway thing to work on that could help guide a skier towards a better overall performance that would be huge. That could even be the opening and close of each lesson. For this lesson we will learn about standing tall. The homework will be to stand as if getting out of a chair after the completion of the turn. Etc or something like that. Could even include example body position pics.

By making the whole thing super incremental it can build someone up from the baseline. Make it more of a pass this class before moving on kind of thing.

Then the simpleton like me can simply work on that. I actually wouldn’t even read the next article until I had “passed” the current exercise.

Actually that gives me another idea. This gets a bit more complicated and you guys are pretty busy so it might not be manageable but I would actually pay money for another layer in top of this.

What if I could submit videos to you for each lesson? Then you actually pass or fail me based on my ability to execute the lesson at hand. Passing would unlock the next lesson. Failing would mean I have to go back to the lake and keep working on that one thing.

My one suggestion turned into a whole giant thing ... haha. Sorry

Ignore the brain dump if not helpful. ?

The takeaway. Help me work on one thing at a time that eventually gets me to a completely different and better way of skiing.

• Baller

@adamcord, @adamhcaldwell Your contributions to the Connection as Swing thread in BoS do a superb job explaining the mechanics of the theory you've outlined in GUT 101-104. I would not describe the GUT pieces as "too abstract". However, the videos, photos and detailed descriptions you two have posted and explained here demonstrate the theories vividly and really bring your theories to life (your partners' incredible 2019 tournament scores have helped a bit too!)

Caldwell's most recent posting here on maintaining torsional stability through CL so the lower body (and ski) begin an early rotation with the upper body -- is most illuminating (can this be described as -- staying on axis with the ski through the transition?).

So, yes, having a GUT 105 or 106 write up to review periodically (before muscle memory takes over) -- with the mechanics neatly described and packaged -- would be priceless.

I sincerely hope you two make the time to finish what you started with your initial GUT pieces.