Slalom Ski for kids

• Baller
My daughter is now consistently getting up on one ski (on a combo ski) and it is time for her first slalom ski. Something very forgiving for entry level, with adjustable front binding (with good release) and rear toe plate. She is small - age 10, about 70 pounds. Suggestions?

• Baller
Well, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "adjustable" front binding, but if you mean what I think you mean, like the two pieces of rubber with the little slider adjustment, then I would beg you not to do it. Please, please...don't do it. New bindings are so great and awesome that if she really is Daddy's little ski buddy, then please allow her to slip her foot into something comfy and secure.

• Baller

Here are some clips of my kid that is also small for his age, although not drastically so - it seems like he is really similar to your daughter in size, except that now he just turned 11, and it probably a bit more than 70 pounds these days. Here are some videos of his progression.

All these videos are on a 63" HO Freeride with the freemax boot up front and the rear toe plate in the rear.

I happened to just find a great deal on a 65" TRA with a small vector front binding that I bought and is now in transit. I think it's still a little big and aggressive for where he is at, and I probably didn't need to buy it for another year or so, but the deal was so good that I decided to buy earlier than I needed to.

FWIW, that Freeride, in my opinion, is the perfect ski for teaching kids to get up on, and a really perfect amazing ski for when they are first learning and are looking for stability. As they start to get more aggressive, though, I do think it quickly runs out of juice.

https://www.facebook.com/escmanaze/videos/10163537012230290

• Baller

It's not available in a kids version, but the women's fusion freeride is available in a 65" version and it looks like they took the freeride and made it just a little bit more aggressive. So...depending on the speed she is skiing at, and just how high of a ceiling you want the ski to have, it seems very likely that this could be a terrific ski, as it might likely have a lot of the same good characteristics that I have loved about that freeride, but maybe just kind of be the next step over where it is a little more aggressive and raises the ceiling at least just a little bit compared to my freeride.

Along those same lines, it seems like a Radar Katana at 65" might likely fit that same bill.

Edit: Look at that, the women's fusion freeride is indeed available in a 63" length, so even if she is going faster in speed, you could get that smaller one and still have it be great.

• Baller_

Get a pair of Obrien Jr Vortex or similar wide shaped skis and use 1 as her first slalom ski. They are very easy to ride, especially at the slow speeds. She will probably be ready to move up in a season or so depending on how much water time she gets. Second best choice is a 64-65" slalom that some others have mentioned.

More info here:

https://www.ballofspray.com/home-page/tech/2598-the-future-of-our-sport-tips-to-addict-the-next-generation

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Thanks for the suggestions all. She is currently using the Obrien Jr. Vortex combo skis, which were fantastic skis for her to learn on. I was looking for the next level up - and wondering if at only 70 pounds (a little less actually) she is ready and would be able to handle a 63-65inch ski, when the skis she is using now are only 54inches, and she is skiing at slow speed (19-20mph). The Obrien Siege Junior seems popular and come in 59, 62 and 63.5 inch options. They come with the Avid bindings. My concern for bindings are fit and release. For myself I use High Wrap Wileys as I have always been used to rubber style, and had a bad experience years ago with laces being too tight and preventing release. Perhaps Wiley kids versions?

• Baller

I know that this is highly debated, but mine started with a Reflex binding when she was 6 years old (and on a trick ski, before getting up in 1 ski).

She delayed slalom skiing until she felt like wanting it (at around 9...). She started in a Jr. combo ski with a basic rubber binding, then evolved to a high end adult Reflex with a Reflex binding. When she started consistently running 49kph (where the long ski was really becoming waaaaay too long...) she switched to her current setup (Evo 62.5 with Reflex binding). My second one is following the same path. Pic below shows well her setup.

xgnrpropbyhu.png

• Baller

My son had a Total Radar Awesomeness from early on I think it around 6 years old been great ski.

My daughter we purchased a Radar Lyric because she liked the graphics and that made her want to ride the ski.

Plenty of options from other brands but the junior ski are quite good.