What Ski's to Demo before Buying

Skoot1123

• Baller
Alright folks - the time has come for me to start looking at a new ski. There is a lot of buzz surrounding some new skis on the market. In your opinion what ski's should I be demoing? Ideally I would ski all of them but I don't think time will allow that, so I'd like to narrow it down to two or three ski's. (I currently ski on an HO A3)

• Baller
@Rednucleus - yes and no. I am really working on revamping the way I ski. I am wanting to be more efficient so there is less wear and tear on me. I like my current ski - but also know that technology changes have improved skis a lot too.

• Baller

I was at your level for about two years now.

3,4, sometimes 5@32, never been able to run that damn pass.

Coming from a 66 D3 Arc-S, then a 66 D3 Evo-S, I switched to a 67 GT-R earlier this season. Went one size up after struggling with a 66 GT last season (but that’s a different story) and that ski was a breakthrough for me!

Ran 32 twice on it now, even got 2@35 and my 28’s are super consistent and actually feel better and easier than the 22’s.

• Baller

I switched to a c75 from a Syndicate (V-Type R). Adam Caldwell was great to work with at Denali. I have ridden HO for the past 20+ years, but I really liked how the c75 turned AND held across the wake. I never tried to Omega though.

Good luck in your search!

• Baller

So far my top demo skis are the following: Denali C75, HO Syndicate Omega, Radar Pro Build, and either the KD Platinum or the Lapoint. I may have to whittle it down to the skis I most want to demo and/or have best access to.

In this sport though - look at the plethora of great skis we have as an option. That is phenomenal!

• Baller
@Skoot1123 - You might want to see if HO will send you an Alpha as well, I recently demoed both and found the Alpha was a better fit for me than the Omega. The Omega is a great ski but didn't work well for me, HO was super helpful and they made demoing both skis super easy. I can not say enough good things about the HO demo program and their customer service.

• Baller_
The HO has a great demo program. My buddy skis 34/22 off consistently, gets some 28 offs, working hard at 32's. He tried the Alpha & Omega and settled instead on the carbon Omni. His biggest like is how easy it is to ski (and you said you are looking for less wear & tear).

• Baller

Was always on HOs, last one being A3. Did not like V type so tried Radar vapor, been on them since. Love my 2020 best esepcially with Denali CG fin. Skiing at around the same level as you.

Cheers

Ali

• Baller
@Skoot1123 the GTR grip is amazing. Really holds in the turns. On rails. Rides quite deep but accelerates extremely well. Coming off an HO S2 which rides high i felt it was taking more energy to ski the GTR, which in some respects is true as it’s much deeper riding but it’s also very responsive. Don’t need to muscle it at all. I’m a huge fan ......

• Baller

To me, and honestly this is why I put the poll questions in the order I did, the most intriguing skis to demo are the Goode cc and the Denali. To me HO is a tried and true brand. I have ridden HO skis since I started skiing way back when and know what to expect.

I’m almost ready to pull the trigger on the demo program. One last call for votes.

As an average skier I can’t wait to see how these skis will take me to the next level and consistency.

• Baller_
I can’t say enough about the support you get from the Adams. Sorta been a test dummy for settings but when I really needed them outside of that, they were there. Never forget changing setting between rounds at a tournament with Cord on the other end of a phone call making fin setting suggestions based on what I told him I felt. Each round got better. Amazing abilities to tune a skis for sure. Oh and the c75 is worth a test ride. If I was forced to ride a diff ski I’d want to give the GTR and the new D3 a go for comparison sake.

• Baller
It would be hard to imagine getting better support than you get from Denali Skis. I have witnessed @adamhcaldwell try so many different boot combinations to find comfortable settings for whatever the combination is, but the most entertaining stuff is when he tries to emulate inefficient body alignment to figure out how to help someone with setup.

• Baller

So here is the deal: I’m getting a Denali to try out and I have an HO Synd Omega plus a Radar Vapor Pro Build to test. I’m going to be busy in the coming weeks. I will try my best to provide some feedback on all of the skis in this thread.

Thanks to Swerve Tracker app for helping me stay focused AND documented. Thanks for developing it. I recommend it to everyone who wants to improve - the graphs are helpful and so are the notes from each set.

Testing will start sometime next week. More to come.

• Baller

A quick update. I got the HO Syndicate Omega and the Vapor Pro Build to test.

First ski to try was the Radar Vapor. Right out of the box - took it a little easy as I didn't know what to expect. What was apparent though is this: FAST across the wakes, Turns are "automatic". All I had to do was ski - I didn't have to think about all the technical details (though I have been working on them for a while now). Made three 28/32mph, two 28/34mph, two 32/32mph and then went to 32/34mph. I made three buoys on each of those tries. Needless to say I was impressed. Incredibly fast ski, and turns that didn't result in wheelies - the rope and handle were in sync. It was an awesome feeling. The initial fin settings were the long/shallow. The next ski ride was the following morning - lets just say I am not a morning skier - so I worked on drills and seeing how the ski would carry me out around the pylon.

The next ski to try was the HO Syndicate Omega. Right out of the box I took it a little easy - that was the wrong thing to do as I fell around one ball on my opener. Went back to square one and did the pass again. This time I approached things more aggressively and got the ski to turn reasonably well, thought there were some wheelies coming around my odd buoys. On some subsequent passes I was able to get the ski to really turn well on the off side. (I'm RFF). The ski felt a little slow - so I figured some fin changes were in order. I adjusted the wing angle to 8 degrees on the subsequent set and that really freed up the ski. Speed was better and the turns were snappy. I was still experiencing some wheelies coming out of my offside turn though. I did however complete the following: two 28/32mph, two tries at 28/34 (one successful), two 32/32mph, and three attempts at 32/34mph (3 buoys on each attempt). For me - this ski seemed to be more work and I had to adopt a different style to turn the ski (on my offside) the way it was designed. Oftentimes I was coming out of the turn with a wheely pop. This is a very capable ski and very similar to my current ski - I feel like I could run 32/34mph on it. For me though, it wasn't as consistent. SO I am ruling this ski out.

Next up is the Denali. I am waiting for it to arrive at my house - hopefully this week. In the meantime I will be riding the Vapor with the short/deep setting to see how that feels.

The process of testing ski's has really been fun. I would highly recommend this exercise to ANYONE looking to buy a new ski. It has also been a fun learning experience. More good times to come - can't wait for what is next.

• Baller

@Skoot1123 When you say, right out of the box, do you mean that you just put your bindings at stock and ski it, or do you measure the fin and setting it up at stock too? Sometimes fins are set right at factory or very close, but most of the times they are a bit off and sometimes way off. I’ve measured skis of certain brands and are usually perfect or good to go, but this is not the case with most skis... also I have measured skis that my buddies have bought from @perfski and no adjustments needed, so I guess some dealers do the setting up thing for you... that is a very good reason to buy from them if you can’t do it yourself.

Anyway trying a ski right out of the box one could get a wrong opinion about a possibly very good ski.

If I understood wrongly and you know what you are doing, then your review is gold and please accept my apologies for writing this.

• Baller

@skialex - yes I tested the Vapor right out of the box as I didn’t have time to do a fin check (yes it goes against what I wanted to do, but I didn’t have a choice). I did check it that evening after the kids were in bed and it was right on the money for the long shallow fin setting recommended by Radar. I was relieved to see that!

On the HO I was able to check those settings before skiing it. It is a demo ski and had been changed by the previous skier, so I set those back to stock before trying it out.

• Baller
Update on the Vapor - ran 11 passes on the ski last night ranging from 28’/32mph to 32’@34mph. Got my first 32’@34mph in the books this year. I even remember thinking at 3 ball that my pass was done because I was sooooo late, but I was early to 4 ball, and ran the pass. Kept on working on 32’@34mph. I would say my consistency on this ski is greater than I have previously experienced - and it is easier on me than my other ski. Hoping to get another ride on this ski before switching to Denali.

• Baller

@Skoot1123 , Thanks for this feedback on the Vapor and Omega. I have been looking at both for a while and have battled to find meaningful user feedback. Whilst I accept everyone is different and their style differs.

This helps me, so thanks

• Baller

The verdict is in. To recap - I have ridden three different skis: HO Omega, Radar Vapor, and the Denali C75. After this testing experience I highly suggest going out and getting a number of different skis to play around with. Each ski has a unique way of getting things done - the design characteristics of the ski come through as you try different skis and settings. Each of the skis reward you in different ways and compliment a certain style (weight forward, neutral stance, etc). My personal style skied very well on the Vapor with a long shallow and short deep fin setting. I really enjoyed this ski, as did my wife who skied exceptionally well on it (first 28’@32mph of the year). I really wanted her to get the ski but she is in charge of the books, so that will have to wait. Great job Radar!

The last ski to review was the Denali C75. Where do I start? My first set on this ski was unlike anything I have ever experienced. I remember my first cut into the gate and across the wakes and feeling the ski decelerate ever so slightly into the first turn around one ball. Perhaps the best turn around one ball all year. The tip stayed low, the ski turned in a smooth controlled arc and then I rocketed off to the next buoy. In that first set I knew this was a special ski - I made a few passes that I really had no business making. I made a few tweaks to the fin and ended up going back to the stock (my initial settings) fin setting. I know I’ll try some more settings in the future - but I’m having fun on this ski. Subsequent sets produced more of the same character, the ski turns so well, AND it stays underneath you, accelerates in a manner commensurate with what you put in to it, and gives you space before the buoy without feeling like you can’t finish the turn. Even when I was late into the buoy and turned very aggressively the ski didn’t hesitate and delivered, early to the next buoy. I am really only a 32’ at 34mph skier - I have made some 32’s on this ski where I felt so early and wide I could have two handed some of the turns. It is incredible - that is how I would describe the Denali C75 Record flex. Last week, with all the kids in the boat and them cheering me on I ran a PB of 3@35’ and 34mph. I am confident this ski will allow me to make 35’, even with some imperfect form and technique. Thanks @adamhcaldwell and @AdamCord for your support. I am now part of the Denali family!

huox2sx74kcx.jpeg

r251j3q18wlt.jpeg