Why you should pay for PRO coaching

Horton

• Administrators

I like to think I know what I am doing. I have a PB of 3 @ 39 and at least one National medal in each event + overall and have been doing this my whole life. This week I was reminded about the difference is between guys like me and the real pros.

This summer I have had a "ski nanny", Abbegayle, living in the house and I am darn proud of the progress she has made under my coaching. On Tuesday Abbegayle, Buford Danger and I dropped in on Terry Winter. When Abbegayle skied Terry made an observation and gave some coaching that I would NEVER have made and it helped a lot.

My point is that Pro coaches are Pros for a reason and are worth every last penny if you want to ski better.

Terry does both in person and video coaching. Check him out at https://www.trainwithterrywinter.com/

• Baller
Worth every $$ last year struggled to make 28 In one lesson I was told two things to change and I started to run them 90% of the time. This year I battled 32 took a lessons and run them off and on took a lesson last week ran 2 at 35. Did not want to name the coaches to hijack @Horton's plug for Terry Winter. Pro's know what they are doing, your ski bud's well lets just say there your ski bud's

• Baller
@TEL I don't think you're ruining a plug if you give someone else credit. That was my interpretation of the thread anyway. Acknowledge the value of pro coaching and start a conversation. I know in my experience with pro coaches in Florida, some really jived with me and others not so much. It's nice if people know their options! @Horton if I misunderstood the intent of the post, feel free to correct me.

• Baller
100% the best money I spend on skiing is pro coaching @theboardingschool terry winter @Chris Rossi @brooks @thefredwinter are just a few of the best I’ve skied with. I get a kick out of my “ski buddy coaches” when I’m working on something a pro tells me and they chime in with some helpful advise.

• Baller
Getting a session or two with a pro coach is always worth the money. Having a pro coach that you can text and send videos to whenever you want and that you stay with year after year is a whole different level. https://www.trainwithterrywinter.com/ Terry is able to build a program for your individual needs. Using the videos with the coaches eye tool and zoom conference calls allows you to really identify the problems that need to be fixed and the best method to solve them. He won't move on to the next issue until you completely fix the first one. There are pro skiers that coach but Terry is a pro coach that skis.

• Administrators
@jhughes 100% true but most of the best skiers in a sport are students of the sport and are pretty good coaches. Granted I can think of a few that are terrible at it but they are outliers.

• Baller

This is the first year in the last seven I haven’t been able to get down south for some pro coaching.

And no tournaments yet either.

I’m going through total withdrawals like a addict.

The second the boarder opens I’m off to a ski school.

• Baller

I hate that I have to agree with Horton. I joined him for a ride with Terry and had been in a slump. Terry told me a few things that clicked and reset my skiing. I got a personal best for the year and got nearly the same score the next day.

Horton actually told me something he saw that helped me but I never recommend listening to him. He is annoying and selfish with his skis.

• Baller

I received great tips from all pro's that I skied with...each one different but meaningful. They all basically had a skier to work with who grew up an open water hack whose father trained all the boys to "stop the boat" with their pull, throw up a big wall, touch your shoulder to the wake--kids who ran open water only behind outboards.

As much as I became a buoy skier and have an eventual PB of 2.5@39...that did not come easy and a lot of habits are hard to kill.

If I were to pick the most impactful coaching help I received, it happened to be from @CParrish43 long ago. I also skied and learned great things from from Wade (twice), Jodi, Andy, and Austin Abel. Had some online fin/wing from Rossi which was really helpful re: Vapor set-up.

Agree with Horton on the pro-coaching--they are on another level.

• Baller
I have taken a few lessons with pros and each time it was a very positive experience. I have signed up for the monthly subscription with Terry Winter and I'm learning a lot from that too. I'm still very much a beginner and it's very humbling to see people ski 28 off and shorter lines.

• Baller
I'd have to ad that it's the whole experience not just the coaching or skiing, it's just so darn cool going to a ski school! Skiers are great people, ya never know who's going to be there, new boats and gear everywhere. And unlike Canada, it's warm and no wind, the whole scene is over the top! Bucket list stuff for sure!

• Baller

One of the interesting things about our sport is that we can get lessons from top professionals. This is rare in most sports.

Also by the nature of the limited money in the sport, most skiers need to coach and run ski schools to get by.

The other thing these pros bring to the table is that they themselves have been exposed to top coaching as they climbed the ladder.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but every top level skier me or my son has had the opportunity to get lessons from have been top notch.

K, retired skier , pb 2@ 28 off 20 years ago.Got health issues & more . I live in a lake & could ski everyday but ?????.Need help ?Can pay for coaching in trade for room & board at my place. All on me ?.Gas, food & you will be my guests ( bring your family with you here. I’m serious, I think, lol

• Baller

I couldn't agree more.

I used to live an hour from Coble Ski School. I would go there 2-3 days each week after work. I had a "frequent skier card." I'd usually hang out after. They would feed me before or after my 1 or 2 sets depending on the time. For 4 or 5 years, I'd fly April Coble Eller up to Maine to ski with my friends. It was a great experience.

I made huge strides in my course skiing while I lived in NC. I managed to eek out a 2.5 @ 35-off / 36mph before slowing down to 34mph. Then I moved to Maine, and the professional coaching dried up for me until I moved to FL. Now, I have coaches all around, but I'm resisting mainly for financial reasons. But I miss it, for sure.

• Baller
Due to bad form and never learning the proper way to ski, I got hurt last month (ruptured eardrum/concussion). At 54 years old I decided that I needed to start over, from the beginning. Now I'm working on Gordon Rathbuns 12 slalom drills and I'll be skiing with @twhisper the 3rd week of September. Can't wait!