2005 Mastercraft Prostar 197

Ski63

• Baller
I am looking at a 2005 Prostar 197 with Mastercraft speed control. Usually ski behind 2001 Response. Looking for any info or thoughts on the Prostar, how the wakes and skiing compare, any info about Mastercraft speed control. (We use regular perfect pass now). Thanks

• Baller_

The wakes on the 197 will not be as good as that Response at -22. I don't have any experience with the MasterCraft speed control.

As always, drive it and ski it before you buy, if possible.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller
MC speed control would scare me. Call PP to discuss. In some boats with mc cruise they don't necessarily have the harness set up for plug and play dbw PP meaning you'll have to probe and splice the factory harness to wire in PP. Supposed to work like PP cruise no gauge just rocker switches. If it has a mechanical throttle body not an issue.

• Baller

I do about 4 sets a week, half behind a 197 and half behind a 2005 response, both with stargazer. With the gas tank 1/2 to 1/4 and just 1 person in the boat, I don't notice much difference at 22 off @ 34 mph.

You'll see a lot of hate on the forums for the 197's 22 off bump but if you can't get through 22 off behind the 197 its your skiing not the boat :)

• Baller

@lars agree the 197 is a great all-around ski boat. I know kids and parents of kids skiing slalom longer/slower didn't like it as the wake stood up, but that's why the trickers loved it.

I've got a lot of time in a '06 197 TT with MCX motor--it was a very nice ski boat that handles itself very well as a family boat.

• Baller
I have an 05 and I think it skis great. Never had any wake complaints, and my kids who ski/skied at slower speeds don’t hold back. Our other boat is a carbon pro, so they are used to some incredible wakes. That said, I would strongly recommend a power slot and mcx, and I would doubt someone would order that config and cheap out on perfectpass. Mine was a tournament team boat and I’ve upgraded it to the latest perfect pass with zbox.

• Baller_

@Ski63 - I concur with above comments, my experience is slalom behind a ‘97 R and ‘07 RLX v an ‘07 MC 197. I prefer the Response wakes which seem softer and a bit more rounded compared to the MC wakes. As the lines gets shorter the difference diminishes but still prefer the Bu wakes. As for speed control, one Bu has the Malibu system and it leaves a lot to be desired. Do your best to snag one with either PP or ZO, they seem light years better than other options. If you barefoot another check mark for a Malibu.

None of the big three would be kicked out of bed I mean lift.