2021 Radar Vapor

Horton

• Administrators

I believe there is a poly block in back of the ski so when they band saw / trim the back of the ski there is a perfectly clean edge and a durable surface.

@brooks told me that they use some coconut but I think he have been drinking

• Baller
I have one set so far on my 2021, hoping to get a handful more this weekend. I'm a 22-35off skier at 36mph. I ran a few 28s and handful of 32s. Initial impression is less effort cross course, feels faster, but hard to determine with one set under my belt. Where I feel the most difference compared to my 2020 is off the second wake, going into my offside. The combination of less effort for speed and slowing down less created a new feeling- The ski came through easier on my offside than my 2020. I still need to adjust my timing because of the speed differences and tweak my onside.

• Baller

5 more sets on the ski- I had a friend visit, so we skied a lot! Still running stock long/shallow settings. I did the same on the 2020 as well.

Overall the ski is less effort and more free, especially in the tail. Not to the point of blownIng the tail easily, but more free than the 2020. Wife said I looked fast side to side.

Less is more for me on this ski, especially on my onside. Onside feels different than my 2020, but the tip still stays down nicely. If I don’t push on the ski, it comes through nicely. If I do push on it, I don’t quite get the ski through all the way as of yet. I’m sure I can adjust that out a bit.

Offside is sweet for me. It comes through easier and grabs more angle than I was getting on my 2020.

• Baller

@rq0013 would like to know if there is a big difference between the 2020 and the 2021, I am asking for myself as I tend to over work, most of the time, so worried it might hard for me to Tame the 2021, in which case I might be better off looking at the 2020, did you find any oddities with the 2020 ?

I know a lot of people liked running the fin, Short and Deep.

• Baller

@Ryota, Radar Race Base , HO S2 Speed Base, not sure that I liked that feature on the HO, significant change in the feel of the ski, that's why I ask the question.

If you have skied a fair bit and haven't got around to giving the bottom of your ski a good clean, give it a go and see how different your ski feels.

• Baller

@Stevie Boy It took me a handful of sets to get in sync with the ski. I don’t think the new speed of the ski would hurt someone who is a power skier. It definitely helps me in our warm, slow water in TX right now.

The 2020 shape has been excellent. I Loved the stability, quick turns and level riding attitude of the 2020. I had better success with the long/shallow settings. Being the same shape and rocker, the 21 adds less effort and an easier time getting the ski through on my offside. I notice it most the back half of the turn. I was surprised a few times this weekend thinking i was coming in on not such a great path, but the ski came through and grabbed angle. I sold my 2020 to a friend this weekend who was previously on a 2018

• Baller
Update- made a few fin changes per a friend: boots back, fin back and deeper. Ran two 35s, which is a great set for me. Then ran 6 @38 no continuation. I know practice pb's are nothing for most, but for a 36mph skier, to run 38 for the first time is a huge accomplishment. Practice pb was 4@38 and tournament pb is 2.

• Baller
After a good amount of sets on the 2021, I can say the ski is working great for me. I'm running more back to back 35s than I have in awhile and getting more looks at -38. Last week I ran 4@-38, so I know I can run 38 again... I recommend people try it because it does feel different with the changes they made.

• Baller

I rode a 21 67 yesterday. Only one set but it was fast. I was already kind of tired as I skied my 66 2020 prior. Waiting on a 21 66 I’m kind of in between sizes (5’7 170lbs) and when I stood on it correctly I could feel it was fast and less work but It did feel big. I’m sure I could tune that out if I had the chance. Ski was going to a friend so couldn’t spend too much time on it although he offered to let me keep it for a few days. ? I don’t want to ding it and have to keep it haha

@BS74 maybe size up if you’re going to ski at 30 or 32? I’ll probably stay with a 66 for now. Might even try a 65 Senate Pro.

• Baller

I have a question about the 2021 Radar Vapor, simply because in current times I am unable to travel to the USA to demo any skis, here we go, so skis like the Helix that were very fast, for some people it was hard to control because there was not a lot of feel, I know that the ski rode high in the water.

For you Guy,s riding the 2021 Vapor, you have stated that it is fast/less effort, does the ski still have plenty of feel ?

Is it that different from the 2020 ?

• Baller
@Stevie Boy I only have a few sets on a 21 but have been on a vapor for 18,19 and 20. The difference between the 20 and 21 is not massive I would say a 10% difference. The difference is small but possibly significant. We as humans don't perceive speed well. It is either feeling acceleration or deceleration or the other way people judge speed is with landmarks. For us slalom skiers it is the bouys how much space do I have.... So to answer your question I feel that the ski takes a little more angle out of the bouy resulting in an earlier line into the next. This is accomplished by the clean water tail. I would actually say that I get more feel from the ski than last year. My first impression on the ski was wow I don't need to feel the boat as much because this thing feels stable under my feet.

• Baller
I have been skiing mine for about two weeks. I tried sizing up as I am right in between a 67 and 68. I definitely notice a grip, speed and edge hold. I really like it. I’m still trying to side if it is the size up difference or the ski model. Our season is coming to an end, I wish I had more time on the ski. Stuck up here in Canada! ??

• Baller
The 67 is a big ski. If you actually measure it it’s over 67 1/2 ..almost 68. We held it up again a few other brands and seemed large. I’m usually on a 66 and tried the 67. When I was in the right position it was fast and less effort but did seem big for me

• Baller
Question ? We all know that it is surface area in contact with the water that counts length of a ski can be deceiving, seeing that the front 6-4 inches is generally not in the water, but like @C5Quest does anybody else share his thoughts when he says the ski feels bigger than previous 67" Radars, perhaps Brooks could chip in regards the sizing.

• Baller
@C5Quest im running short/deep on the 21, I’m really close to finding numbers right now. As of now I’m not too far off stock short and deep settings. As far as sizing goes @Stevie Boy @brooks will probably chime in on this with more info but the ski does have a bit more surface area. Comparing a 2020 66” – 353.67 SQ” and the 2021 66”- 355.67 SQ”

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi youre the first I’ve heard running S/D on a 2020/21. My season ended yesterday but will give it a try again in the spring. Been running L/S on my 2020. Will have a 21 by next season. Did you run the same set up on a 2020 or did something change? Let us know what numbers are working. On a 66.

I didn’t realize there was a change in surface area on the 21? Being at the top of weight range (170) for my 66 I hope I feel the difference. Wonder what changed. Thought it was same ski just a material change.

• Baller

Yeah so I ran L/S for 90% of the time on my 2020 but the last couple of months I shifted to S/D and ended up liking the ski a lot better. @TFIN also runs short deep. On my 2020 I ended up at:

29 3/8

I’ll let you know where I end up my 2021 I’m mostly the same right now. The surface area change you’ll see mostly in the tail @brooks @Chris Rossi @TFIN will need to confirm that.

• Baller

@C5Quest i have run S/D on the 20 and now 21. Basically the exact same numbers as @ColeGiacopuzzi

Absolutely loved the 20 w/those numbers. And stayed with the same ones on the ‘21 and love it. @brooks has me all dialed in to those numbers and I’m running the most buoys of my life. Season is now done in Alberta. Time to travel to warmer waters.

• Baller
@ColeGiacopuzzi Have about 10 sets on my 21 now and getting back up to speed here in CT. Water temp still about 60 deg. Been using stock L/S just to get used to ski but ready to give your above numbers a go. Any updates or still relatively the same?

• Members

@thager That's not a new concept. The original Jobe, debuting in the mid 70's, only had one mold - a 67" model. There is a fascinating story about how that mold came to be in Jeff Jobe's garage, which I do not feel at liberty to disclose.

In any event, the 65" model was simply a 67" ski with 2" cut off the tail, the foam core carved out a bit, and the resulting hole filled with orange epoxy-based putty. (the putty was a very good color match for the orange hull of the ski itself).

This sizing solution predated the adjustable fin and hard-shell bindings by at least a decade and a half, to give you a timeline perspective.