Bimini for a 196

bojans

• Baller
I installed this one on my '98 a few years ago, I went with metal supports instead of straps in the back and straps in front. I am not a fan of straps but they make it easier to fold up for storage. I also used all stainless hardware and replaced a few of the rivets with screws to reduce vibration (I can be really picky). I have been happy with it, customer service was good, the green matched my boat nicely. It does pillow a little at speed but I haven't noticed any flapping. I do make a point to have at least a 1/2 twist in the straps, those can flap and drive me nutty.

• Baller
Plus another one for Tower Biminis. I have one on my 2007 196 and it is of excellent quality - went with the straps because I don't like the looks of the pole mounts. When properly tensioned, there is zero flapping. I would also recommend the stainless bows as opposed to the standard aluminum. They are more rigid and resistant to wear.

• Members
When checking out the Tower Bimini website, the Nautique section appears to be almost exclusively for boats with wake-boarding towers. I'm looking for a standard Bimini top, and I don't see anything on Tower's site I would want on my 196.

• Baller
I believe the guy there is named Danny. Like @KRoundy Danny and I talked on the phone a couple of times, plus there was an order form that I filled out complete with measurements and pictures. I can say that my bimini was a perfect fit when it was delivered.

• Members

Actually, I just found these guys, and I am very impressed by their website.

https://www.nationalbiminitops.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi-T00K2q6wIVBBx9Ch0EEwA8EAAYASAAEgLtvfD_BwE

Not only do they build specifically for make and model, but even differentiate by year. For my boat (2008 SN LE) they offer three different heights, and four different fabric choices, each with MANY colors. Plus, their pricing is all spelled out to the penny, and a live chat opens up when your first enter their website, in case you have any questions.

Sorry to all you guys who love your Tower Biminis, but THIS company really knows how to help a customer like me find what he's looking for. Good chance they'll be getting MY business

• Baller
@RGilmore - It looks like they have a good setup. I did notice that they use swivel mounts, when I installed my top I used a swivel mount (similar to this one), I wish I would have used something more like this. The swivel allows a lot of side to side wiggle in the top, unfortunately the screw holes on the swivel mount are about 1/2" farther apart than the non-swivel and converting to non-swivel leaves a visible hole in the gel coat. If I were to do it again, the only thing I would change is the swivel mount.

• Baller
To everyone with a 196, I just got a bimini from NP.com and am debating on deck or windshield mounting. What is everyone's opinion? I am leaning towards windshield frame mounting at the very bottom right before the deck. For those of you who have done this are you using wood/sheet metal screws or normal machine screws with nuts on the inside?

• Baller
Sheet metal. Be careful to not get into the glass. You'll like this position where you can fold it down just in front of the windshield. Use a small Velcro strap to tie it down to the front strap eyes and you can tow down the road with no worries. . You can also ski with it folded down if you wish.

• Baller
@skierjp the bimini I got is low like the tower one. Maybe I will be kicking myself for not getting one from tower but for the moment I'm happy with the one I got. Hoping to get it mounted over the weekend. Going to mount the strap tie downs to the air intake plates up front and the rear to the top of the gunnel stepdown.

• Baller
@RGilmore I didn't want to spell out the whole address but you should be able to figure it out. I do have a nautique. Anyway, maybe I need to go into the business of domain mergers and acquisitions. I might be able to retire sooner!