An Addict is Born!

Cnewbert

• Baller

I confess, I got my wife Melanie hooked with a gateway drug... a beautiful new ‘20 Prostar. But she had no intention of water skiing herself. While on the US Air Force Academy Alpine Ski Team a few years ago she had a nasty crash and wrecked both her knees, requiring multiple surgeries over two years. Then she had another bad accident on our farm horseback riding that broke her back. It left her very gun shy about trying any new sport. She’d damaged enough body parts already. But she was so inspired by our gorgeous new Prostar she recently announced she wanted to give water skiing a go after all.

So we went down to Performance Ski and picked up a Radar Butterknife so she’d at least have the perfect ski to start on. And with an old beater as a second ski, she immediately took to skiing on doubles without a hitch, steady as can be and loving every minute. This morning, after maybe 6 days on the doubles, she said she was ready to drop a ski as she felt so confident with her trusty Butterknife. Well, she went 3 for 3. She never wobbled or missed a beat and looked great for her very first ever slalom runs. In fact, her 3rd slalom run of the morning — and of her life — was a full 1 1/2 miles... she just didn’t want to stop!

And she’s been in Cloud Nine ever since. All she does is talk about how much she loves the boat, loves her Butterknife, loves water skiing, loves slalom... and how she can’t wait to go again.

So, add another addict to the group. She’s hooked for life!

scwzxkozbd3f.jpeg

jyf6rxgwvg5g.jpeg

• Baller
@Cnewbert I don't know if addicts are born so much as snared but whatever term you use it's a great thing to have an enabler/ski buddy (and a driver possibly?) as a life partner. How convenient and easy is that?! You're one of the lucky ones. ;)

• Baller
@DangerBoy, @jpattigr, the great thing about Melanie is that even long before she ever thought she might attempt to ski herself, she was all in on us buying the boat, if for nothing more than for her just to ride in. She’s picking up driving quickly, though we’re free skiing only. It still has to be done right and I already have complete confidence in her.

• Baller

Got my wife on the Butterknife this year too and its the first time she has proactively asked to ski when we go out as a family vs me talking her into it. It has been really fun. Especially while I've been sidelined.

@Than_Bogan what about 3 big injuries? ... too stupid know better? cuz that describes me I guess :D

• Baller

@MitchellM well, if you are ever in the area you’re welcome to ski with us. Weir is a public lake and we free ski. There is one course up

that needs a little love at the moment, with some missing buoys last time I looked. There was another course as well, but last year someone must have snagged the mainline with an anchor or some such thing, and pulled it all apart. The owner has not replaced it. But the lake offers nice free skiing in most wind.

@Cnewbert - Melanie...welcome to the waterski addicts club! I'm the girlfriend (now wife of @jpattigr) who got hooked 8 years ago...on 2 skis, then 1, then the course....and my hubby is my biggest cheerleader (and I'm his, too)!

Waterskiing is thrilling and there's always a challenge to look forward to. I love hearing about other women who get into the sport! It's inclusive to everyone at any level! My cousin, Amy just started in her forties and now she's hooked too! (And she's on a butterknife, too)!

If you have the chance to go to a ski school, do it...even if you're not competitive, they help you build good habits and a good technical foundation. (Also important to prevent injury).

Anyway, you look great out there! Keep at it! Join the forum and post your accomplishments...we'll cheer you on!

• Baller
@Cnewbert thanks for the offer! We come out to Jodi Fisher's ski school in Orlando when we can and have started renting a house with a boat on a small lake in Montverde which is just south of you. I will have to give Lake Weir a look in the future.