Rotator Cuff Tear Recovery

mmskiboat

• Members

So in March I injured my shoulder (fall on ice with arm out skating full speed on a lake and hit a air pocket) and due to Covid did not deal with it till now. I think that I have a tear in my supraspinatus and hope to have an MRI scheduled soon-ish.

Timing wise this has been hard as we just started getting into water skiing. I have been still able to ski as I'm still learning but cannot push much of that side.

I also to triathlon and has stopped my swimming and biking in the aero bars is not good. I'm 53.

I have read that surgery right after an acute injury is best but we are way beyond that now.

I will be starting physio this monday but wanted to know if other on this forum have has surgery or was physio enough?

• Baller
I tore mine a couple years ago in July. Nursed it for many months with no improvement. Surgery was in January and I was able to ski pretty normal by May. Feels stronger than ever. Get your MRI and get it repaired!

• Baller

depends on the grade of tear and age will be a factor. I have injured many of my RC tendons, dislocation, no surgery just physio and strength training and I'm stronger than ever but I'm over 10 years younger. I have only ever had an ultrasound and cortisone shot (once) so no real idea of how much of a tear I've had.

Not sure where you're located but there are some great orthopedic surgeons in Toronto. Dr. Abouali at Michael Garron hospital and Terry Axelrod at Sunnybrook who's a skier and treated many skiers over the years. I'm sure there are others, but these 2 are very well regarded. See if they can take a look at you once you get the MRI done. good luck

• Baller
I really thought that I had a small tear of the teres minor earlier this year. I couldn't rotate my arm in certain positions and after 8 weeks it was still just as bad. Got an MRI and was surprised to find no tears, beyond a small labrum tear that's probably from years ago. That gave me the confidence to go a little harder in PT and things started to improve, though still slowly. RC injuries are really slow going, even when not teared. Guess I'm saying to keep your hopes up a bit and get the MRI. Hopefully all you need is a lot of PT from someone who really knows their stuff. Good luck.

• Baller

@mmskiboat It is important that you read this thread. I had a proven documented (ultrasound) torn rotator cuff muscle (supraspinatus) and had fantastic results with the therapy discussed therein. If it works for you as well as it did for me, it could help speed your recovery considerably. @vtmecheng you may want to have a look at it as well. In fact, anyone who has soft tissue injuries that are being difficult to heal using conventional methods should have a look.

https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/20415/something-that-may-be-of-interest-for-those-with-rotator-cuff-injuries