Shipping a Ski Question.

matt_b

• Baller
I recently got quotes from FedEx and UPS for shipping approximately 2/3 of the way across US, about $70, they were within a few dollars of each other. I was going to go with UPS because it is easier for me to get them to pickup at my house, its about a 1 hour round trip to nearest FedEx for me. The demo skis I have received from a few manufacturers have been shipped FedEx.

• Baller
My wife owns a small machine shop and ships/receives stuff every day, usps seems to have suffered customer service wise the worst since covid. Fedex and ups are usually decent but both will have their horror stories. A commercial account and a commercial address typically help a little. With skis it's usually the length of the box that drives the price towards stupid, I've sent and received 2 skis this year and 70 bucks is about right.

• Baller
Check out Bike Flights, I have used them for shipping mountain bikes. when I put in the dimensions of my ski box for coast to coast shipping, it came out around $40. Its been awhile since I used them and they slipped my mind. They use UPS/FedEx as the carrier but have some account/deal with them. With bikes I have had great luck with them.

• Baller

I had a guy ship me a ski, he boxed the wrong ski, he cheaped out and didn't use the allocated extra money for shipping proper, shipped it USPS media rate.

USPS opened it because they know books don;t look like that. they held it till i paid the difference, again. all to find out it was the wrong ski, some useless fatboy widebody log with bindings.

then he ghosted me

All in my attempt to find a replacement KD3000 for my daughter that my ex kept from her just to be spiteful to us.

maybe some karma caught up with them both

• Baller

I've shipped in the past with USPS. I won't do it again. The last ski I shipped was supposed to take a week, CA to TX. It sat in a warehouse in CA for a week before they ever sent it out. When it got to Texas, Sat again for almost two weeks before it finally delivered. Took almost a mont in total. Ridiculous.

• Baller

USPS in the past has been ok for me. But there is something going on with them this year. A flat rate small box I recently sent took 8 days from AL to SC! Really?

So yeah FDX or UPS?....6 or half a dozen.

The dimensional oversize thing about doubles the price.

Insurance is expensive but it's not worth the risk of skimping on it.

• Baller
17 hours ago, Jerry44 said:

I just shipped one today from Alabama to Virginia.  98.00.  Unbelievable.

Jerry, did you just ship a Carbon Omega Max to Scott Montgomery? If so that is my brother.  I found that ski for him. He is currently riding a fossil (1999 connelly).  Is the fin set to stock by chance?  Thanks!