How to train, how to get that next rope length...

LK_skier

• Baller
How does everyone train here - for me my best is 5@35 (13). So on a good day I run all the way through to the green and I'm happy with just getting there - then I might try it once more or drop back. However my bad days out weigh the good - so the question is when I miss say a 22 or 28 - what should I do - drop back a line length and repeat or try the same rope length - there are days where I'm missing 28 off even - mostly only once and then I do it again - but then I miss my 32!! I'm only getting out to ski probably once or twice a week and to be honest my body is lucky to last 6 full passes before its too tired to continue...

• Baller

Work on getting a consistent Setup, Just do Gates, One and Two Balls, maybe in front of the gates and gradually move your start point forward to include the gates.

Why not run the course you ask, well conserving energy to get more practice and consistency is a worth while sacrifice, that will possibly not only help your easier passes, but is going to give you a better shot at your harder passes.

• Baller_
You should have a game plan before you get on the water. Maybe Monday you are going to run your opener all six or eight passes. Tuesday the same except you run your opener and then your next pass and that pass the rest of your set. Wednesday you run up the rope and work on your hardest pass. Etc. I’m not suggesting that the above should be your plan; I’m suggesting that if you want to progress you should have a plan.

Lpskier

• Baller
For me, I usually ski 2 sets of only 4 passes. The first set I ski all the same length and my goal is to complete all 4 passes. On the second set I shorten to the next shorter rope and ski until I feel fatigued. If I fall, I may take a couple more passes but once the fatigue sets in it’s best to call it a day.

• Baller
I usually pick out a weakness or something I'm struggling with and work on that. I'll dig through these forums and watch alot of YouTube ski videos and hone in on that one particular thing I'm looking to improve. Leave everything else alone and go ski. Has helped me alot over the years.

• Baller

It is practice, so you have to decide if you want to get better or go for high buoy count on each set.

I liked to run doubles on the first set and focusing on technique and running wide and early, or each direction with a wind, which always helps in a tournament, and the second set I would run up the rope trying to better my hardest pass while being a little fresher than running doubles on the way down the rope. This meant hitting the first pass with some gusto, not just loafing through it. Practice makes permanent!

If you want to run 35, you shouldn't be missing anything up to it unless it was a major break, but small bobbles shouldn't take you out of the pass.

When tired, run one more 35 and just focus on a good gate and one ball. As that is a key to running any shortline pass. If you are too tired to do that, get in the boat and recharge. You don't want to practice with arms and handle out and off your hip, as that is cementing bad form, and worse yet cause you to hold a yard sale.