Recommendation for reliable, low cost DIAL caliper?

hbfs

I don't intend to do much fin tuning in the near future and mostly just need something rudimentary to set my fin to stock and occasionally check it. I've decided to get a dial caliper to avoid the problems with humidity, temperature, moisture, and low battery that come with digital calipers. I'm also not yet skiing at a level where micro-tweaks with a premium Mitutoyo or Starett caliper is gonna be what's making the difference for me, so I would prefer to keep cost at or below $60.

What reliable, low cost dial caliper can you recommend for $60 or less?

• Administrators
I think for an economy caliper you probably want to go digital. Personally I hate the digital ones but they do work most of the time. You definitely need it to be at least 8 in

• Baller

@hbfs small LCDs and cheap circuit boards now cost pennies. Precise miniature gear racks machined to high accuracy over 8" now cost more than the circuit boards so for cheap calipers the prices have swapped.

I will say with cheap digitals you really should get some sort of accurate reference ~6" long like a micrometer calibration standard. Even with fairly expensive digitals if you zero the jaws full closed then pull them out to 6+ inches and measure you'll find they tend to lose steps. Close your digital. Zero it then go open/closed/open/closed a few times and see what the display reads.

• Baller
Some great advice here... whatever you decide, buy 8”, 6” is short for measuring length and 12” is not only longer but proportionally bigger and can give slightly different results than an 8” when measuring length and dft. Also it’s much heavier making more difficult to hold it flat when measuring dft, even when you hold the ski upside down vertically.

• Baller_

A quality caliper is a staple for a fin tuner no question. I like to keep those on dry land and the HF one sees its place on or near water and the one I use has been accurate and repeatable since day one even after multiple battery changes.

Since noted in this thread and concern over accuracy, how many fin tuners have a calibration block? Specifically, a ~7" one just to make sure the scale is accurate over the extended distance. Simple solution is a metal bar of known length, can get one at HD, Lowes, Menards.

• Baller
I've used Vernier's for years without any problem, simple, easy and nothing to run out of batteries or break when knocked. I went to the dark side and bought some digital ones, each time I used it I had to change the battery. Turned out that if you stored it in the case it pressed the on button all the time! I still use the Vernier's more often

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I ended up going with @BG1's recommendation for Shars, but with a model that had both inch and metric measurements.

A little icing on the cake - a machinists forum on Google search mentioned that Shars sells from their Ebay store at significantly reduced prices, so the total cost shipped even came in under $60.