EP54: Ski Talk with Elizabeth Montavon (Part 1)

Horton

• Supporting Member
An hour and 15 minutes is waay more than I'm usually willing to dedicate to something like this, but I might just make the time. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I kinda liked her "F U Old Men" attitude! And she sure seemed joyous when she finished well (2nd?) at a pro tour event I was watching. Makes me curious to find out more.

• Supporting Member
I watched the instagram. I found myself wondering how I'd react if one of the girls I coach had posted it. My first thought would have been "Heal yeah! This kid has got some FIRE. Let's get to WORK!" Then I would have had a "little talk" with her that she might want to be more careful because some people might not interpret it the same way I did. :)

• Administrators
@The_MS I think you and young Miss Montavon need to settle this on the water. Unless you do not think you can take her. Would be fun to see 3 rounds with the same boat and driver Class L/R

• Baller

In tennis, "Battle of the Sexes" describes various exhibition matches played between a man and a woman, or a doubles match between two men and two women in one case. The term is most famously used for an internationally televised match in 1973 held at the Houston Astrodome between 55 year-old Bobby Riggs and 29 year-old Billie Jean King,[4] which King won in three sets.[2][5] The match was viewed by an estimated fifty million people in the United States and ninety million worldwide.[6] King's win is considered a milestone in public acceptance of women's tennis.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Baller
@MS so a girl can’t drop the F Bomb without people thinking she doesn’t deserve a sponsorship but... well, let’s think about what happens off the water for some men’s slalom skiers who still have plenty of sponsors and then, hopefully after considering, you won’t say nonsense like that anymore.

• Baller_
I don’t have any kids for anybody to look up to so I guess I don’t care. I say worse then that daily but then again, I don’t have sponsors. I know that you would never hear anything like that out of Reginas mouth on social media

• Baller_
@scuppers She had a post on Instagram a few months back totally bashing M4-5-6-7 guys and BOS saying we are to stay off Instagram and stay on BOS where all the old folks hang out. She won’t listen to anybody that is not a better skier then her cause they don’t know crap. Tossed about 3-4 F Us in there and told everyone to calm the F down.

• Baller

@The_MS

1. I live in south Florida. 80% of who I ski with is M4,5,6,7. Most of what I said was direct quotes FROM THEM about their own age divisions and Instagram, BOS, being “tip up”, etc. Furthermore, I did what I did for 2 reasons: 1) to see how that narrative would change specific social metrics within slices of the water ski demographic. You performed beautifully, and we appreciate your feedback. 2) As an inside joke with all my ski buddies, which you clearly did not pick up on. How unfortunate.

2. It’s only common sense that we should be trying to learn from pro men exclusively at this time, as that is the demographic that consistently out performs everyone else as a whole. Math doesn’t lie.

3. I swear because that’s authentically how I communicate. I’m not for everyone, and I have no intention of changing that.

4. I did a podcast where I talked about how I was bullied in waterskiing and the impact that had on my mental health and whether or not I was going to continue skiing.

Then I get bashed by water skiers in an online thread pertaining to that podcast.

Do you see the problem here?

It’s painfully obvious that we’ve lost the beautifully human element of vulnerability within our sport. It’s very difficult to grow any industry that people cannot connect or relate to on a human or emotional level.

Every time we bicker amongst ourselves the enemy wins — the enemy being other sports who ARE getting money, sponsors, and attention.

So yes, I will continue to be loud, disruptive, and HUMAN, all in the hopes of generating SOME attention for our sport. If you are offended by my WILLINGNESS to try, I seriously question your “passion” for the sport.

We are on the same side.

• Supporting Member

Wait -- water skiers are humans? That doesn't sound right.

Being a bit more serious, I've always noticed that people who annoy each other the most actually are very similar. It's sibling rivalry on a more general scale. Although I don't know him in person, his long history on BOS tells me that @The_MS likes to stir up trouble and is always happy to speak his mind. So when @EM_ says she's on the same side, that might be even more true than she meant!?

Crud -- now I really gotta listen to that podcast. Need ... more ... hours ... in ... day.