Perfect Stack or Insanity?

skispray

• Baller

First thing I noticed was the lack of ski in contact with water and thinking "dam...that is a good trough behind that Boo, probably a disadvantage to the skier...wonder which boats have a lesser trough at 41 & 43

But ya, committed 100% beastmode

• Supporting Member

Stand tall; body perpendicular to ski; load the line not the ski*. The man practices what he preaches!

*I hope I don't have that backwards. That would be kinda embarassing, but my excuse is I haven't skied more than a few sets in last 18 months.

• Baller_

If we were asked to bet cash on if he crashed or not and later shown the video in full, the lions share of us would have lost big time. ?

Don’t know if it’s just the pic making it look as if he’s looking up, but if I ended up in a lean like that, I’d be looking up to the heavens as well, praying ? I survive the next 2.5 seconds. ?

• Supporting Member

Actually, I think he's in a surprisingly safe and (dynamically) stable position in that photo. Think of that classic high school physics thing with a weight on the end of a string. Once that thing is spun up, all of the line tension is coming from centripetal force -- the need of the string to pull the mass toward the center because the mass's natural path is to lengthen the string, and the string resists lengthening in the form of tension.

Of great importance, our heroic mass doesn't need to apply any pressure anywhere and it won't "slip" to the inside. Its momentum alone creates a nice stable ride around the circle.

So, with Caldwell having already established a pile of momentum and thus line tension, there is no need for his ski to be contacting the water in order for everything to proceed as desired.

• Administrators

@Than_Bogan

Actually, I think he's in a surprisingly safe and (dynamically) stable position in that photo.

Maybe at the moment but in about 5 feet his mass has to come up and the ski has to go move away from the pylon in a controlled way. It works for him but I would need a LOT of scotch before I would try to copy this position.