Trailering protection

503Kento

• Baller

God willing, I will be picking up my ‘new to me’ prostar for Southern California and trailering it to my home outside Portland Oregon. I’ve got a couple of mountain passes to get over and while I won’t go with snow on the road, there is the possibility of residual sand and gravel. Should I be concerned about gel coat damage? I’ve found some temporary films like https://www.calcarcover.com/product/road-wrap-paint-protection-film/1218. I also thought of pallet wrap but not sure if it would stay on at freeway speeds.

Any other ideas? Do I even need to worry about it?

Thanks,

Kent

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller
If there is a Master Craft dealer near by I would check to see if they would sell you a factory travel cover. It is a shrink wrap cover with felt inside. Did this with my Nautique a couple years ago when it got shipped up to me from Florida. Worked great.

• Baller_
I agree with @PatM. I still have my original Malibu travel/delivery cover (11 years) with the felt lining and still use it for long distance trailering. It is a little worse for wear at the stern, but protects the rest of the boat just fine and covers most of the boat to below the waterline. It seems to me that I could still buy one to replace mine, if needed.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

Thanks guys, I’ll. check with the MC dealer here. I’m not hopeful as I’ve never seen a prostar there.

How about if I do the pallet wrap and then put the cover over it to protect the hull from wind whip?

My previous boat had a super tight custom cover so didn’t think about wind whip issues.

• Supporting Member
I have a 17 mastercraft you can tow with the cover. I don’t. The cover does not go down very far so may help with the glass but not the hull. The master craft shipping covers are thick and would cover most of the boat. Not sure about southern cal dealers but not cal master craft probably has one. Might be on the way.

• Baller

The cover is trailerable but the current owner does not use it that was for the reasons you all stated.

So, I think I’ll tow it naked to Redding then wrap and cover until I get to my daughter’s place it Medford then tow it naked the rest of the way home.

• Baller

Personally I am not a proponent of shrink wrap for this use. Our industry does enough bad things to the environment and in this instance it can be avoided completely. Instead of paying the approx $300 to shrink it (guessing on cost) put that money toward a long drop cover from Tumacs (sold by Skip Dunlap).

Several times I have used this type cover to pull boats from Orlando (approx 450 miles) and in October towed a boat from AZ (approx 1900 miles) using one. After you're done w/your trip you'll have a wonderful cover to use for years rather than non degradable plastic to through in the trash.

• Baller
It goes without saying be sure to carefully check over the trailer too: Tires, Bearings, Brakes, Lights, Connections... If you are near Chino, CA Pacific Trailers is a great resource (no affiliation). Heading up the Grapevine after initial buyers high wears off; you will be thinking more about the trailer you bought than the boat. Recently had a tire blow out and no brakes on a Boat I bought in SoCal in August. No major damage; but felt stupid for assuming the good tread on tires meant they would be ok. You can buff out some road grime, but being stuck on side of I-5 is no good. I once read statistically you have 45 seconds on the side of a California freeway before you are hit.

• Baller

Made it home last night with no issues and clean dry roads and only a slight sprinkle of rain outside of Eugene. She was a little dusty but no other nicks or chips from the journey.

@mfjaegersr yep, I think she will. :) Maybe see you out there sometime.

• Baller
@mfjaegersr with the recent heavy rains is probably pretty bad. I have not seen the river since I got back. Course is out until end of April when the water level coves down. Yea, the dead end is a little unnerving. Freaks out everybody I’ve taken out there.