Turn islands?

kidderskier

Our lake is about 30 years old and is in need of maintenance. Due to a leak we are considering draining and resealing with clay. While we’re at it we have the opportunity to reconfigure a few areas. We currently have islands on both sides. Some of us are interested in removing them. I’m interested in the pros and cons of turn islands vs no islands.

• Baller

Do a quick search here.Been discuss before. @eleeski doesn't like them. :)

If i had a lake that was long enough to avoid turning around an island,i wouldn't use them.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

If I were to ever drain my lake I would eliminate my turn islands. 70% of my lake maintenance time is spent on my islands. Between erosion, muskrats, and mowing I wish I never built them, but if you like to spin passes and lake is less than 1900' then you might want to have them. If so, keep the top no more than 18" above full pond to keep the muskrats from trying to burrow up above the water level and also rip rap the banks. Islands as you know will take a beating and if you plan on skiing right away the vegetation will not have time to develop.

As far as the leak, if you have any idea where its leaking from research bentonite clay. It will expand to 8 times its volume. It comes in 40 or 50 lb bags and works well for sealing. I used it around my riser pipe many years ago and no issues since.

• Baller_
On 2 of our lakes we have islands on 1 end and shore line drops on the other. The other 2 are shore line drops at the ends. The drop ends give you more time to sit in the water and the island ends have more set up time. I moved from a lake with double turn islands and like them better then the drops. Set up time is awesome with islands.

• Baller
I love our islands. We have two of them - size matters - our islands are 100’ diameter and we also have a channel of 100’ width to ski around the islands. Plenty of space for skiing and boarding. When you have a tight radius turn and a small channel between the island and the shore that is where it can get a little sketchy. You will find a lot of opinions on islands here on BOS.

• Baller
We have islands on both ends of our lake. Mentally, to me at least, it just feels like there’s more time to get settled and set up for the next pass with islands. The downside is they do require some maintenance.

• Baller
I live on a lake without islands, but was a member of a lake that had them. I like not having islands, because it gives you more options with setting down skiers, and rollback down the lake has not been an issue without them.

• Baller
A 2300’ lake designed similar to “Quick Set” would be ideal. You can spin using the shoreline to knock down the rollers, but you have no unnecessary obstacles to negotiate as a skier or a driver. When I see beginners spin around islands, it makes my hands sweat.