Slow out of the hole - 2007 196

ORANGEBALLS

• Baller

like Andre said what prop do you have - my malibu with 375hp was gutless with a 13x14 cast prop that was on it from previous owner - they just wanted to go fast. I switched to an Acme 13x11.5 and it was literally like twice the holeshot.

If I'm not mistaken I believe the Acme 422 is the prop for the 196. But if you already have decent prop it could be something simple like cap/rotor and plugs.

• Members

You might want to switch to the ACME 668 prop. Gave us a much stronger hole shot with better performance at lower speeds, at little to unnoticeable high-end expense. But, of course, Your Mileage May Vary - literally.

Skip Dunlop out of Polk County, Florida is the go-to guy for ACME prop information, repair, and sales.

• Baller

As with any boat issue, you can go about it in two ways. You can guess and start throwing parts at the problem. The other approach is to systematically debug the problem and then replace what is proven to be broken.

I'm not passing judgement on which approach, and sometimes it makes sense to do some amount of replacing parts and then switch to systematic diagnosis. If things like rotor, cap, plug wires, plugs, and inline fuel filter are due anyway you may as well do that as a first step. Personally, I wouldn't go beyond that on the swapping parts approach because it's slippery slope and next thing you know you've spent a lot of time and money and it would have been cheaper to pay a good shop to find and fix the problem.

You can do some of that systematic diagnosis with reasonably priced specialized tools such as fuel pressure gauge and compression tester.

To really do a full systematic approach for a problem like this, you need some form of marine diagnostics software. Rhinda Technologies DIACOM or TechMate is the only fully turnkey solution for boats. Boats use the same J1939 diagnostics protocol as commercial Trucks and heavy equipment. You can get some much cheaper code readers intended for heavy equipment, but to make that work you have to wire up your own connectors. And the number of capabilities varies a lot between those solutions. Some just read fault codes and others can do more advanced capabilities like show live data from the engine.

The number of things that can cause slow hole shot is quite long. Besides the things mentioned here, you have knock sensors, temp sensors, timing, injector flow rates, etc ......

• Baller
It could be that a previous owner had that Acme 422 prop re-sized or re-pitched. That should be easy to check before spending a lot of money. It might even be worth a phone call to ask the person from whom you bought the boat if he/she knows if the prop has been modified or if he/she had your problem.

• Baller
Not to oversimplify things but there are not all that many things that can cause this. If the engine starts ok and isn't misfiring, sputtering, or stalling then its pretty safe to say it's running on all cylinders. As @jpwhit already noted if it's already overdue for tune up items go ahead and do them as a matter of maintenance but that not likely to solve the issue. Simplest item up front is just check the timing. As @hogexpress noted, can easily impact. If that's correct the next super easy thing is just do a compression check on each cylinder. Very simple. Prop topic has been addressed already and you have a correct prop. You really need to validate these two important items before moving further. They're both very easy.

• Baller

Maybe I'm wrong but unless you have access to a DIACOM i'm not sure how you verify timing is correct. Its set by the cam. My 2007 196 placard states it needs to be 0-4deg. Obviously a dealer or marina can check this for you.

qj3jr28lp7mm.png

• Baller

@h2onhk you are correct. The EX series PCM engines self adjust the timing. But the CAM Retard has to be in the correct range and that has to be set using DIACOM.

@MDB1056 our club's 196 developed the same slow out of the hole issue years ago. It ran great otherwise. Turned out to be a faulty knock sensor. Hole shot was night and day different before and after the repair.

• Baller
funny a friend of mine has the exact same issue. works great in the course but slow out of the hole. No issue with prop though but the engine is not taking its revs. It is staying at low RPM and slowly getting revs. Feels like it is getting too much or not enough gas.