Max number of holes drilled in a ski

Pullhard

Anybody have any experiences or recommendations on the maximum number of holes that can be drilled into a ski for both front and rear bindings before it becomes unsafe? I know Goode recommends no more that 24 holes for two sets of bindings. Has anybody ever broken a ski due to too many holes drilled?

• Baller
I know what Goode used to say about drilling a ski and that was when their skis had no inserts. I have installed many inserts but to many holes and in close proximity makes me nervous. So why not using a stud plate instead? Stud plates also allow the ski to flex more naturally as they are attached by VHB tape and you can use self locking nuts in order to have some play to the plates.

• Baller
@Pullhard how much do you value your ankles, Jennifer Leachman comes to mind she had the most horrific injuries after the ski broke in between her feet as she went through the wakes, I know of one other incident that resulted in severe injuries, but can not expand, on the details.

• Administrators
modern skis are not designed to be drilled. there is a nylon block inside the ski where the inserts are attached. additional holes are a terrible idea because they're not going to hold very well and you are substantially diminishing the structure of the ski.

• Baller

@Horton this is the exact opposite advice I received from Radar who said about adding additional inserts "There is a Nylon block in the ski so if inserts are added correctly they go into the nylon block and are the strongest way to fix."

Obviously the location of the extra inserts is the key.

• Baller

@Dysco I would never put my Ankles at risk for the sake of a few holes, there are several other solutions available, not always as simple as drilling a few holes, the thought of one or both of my feet ending up 180 degrees from where they should be, is enough for me to put the drill back in the box.

Yes, I do know somebody that happened to, miraculously a top surgeon walked by when he was in hospital and instead of fusing his ankle together, he opted to try and save it, after 18 months of excruciating Physio, he started to walk again, unbelievably he returned to water skiing and consistently ran 38off @36mph.

• Baller
This clearly doesn't sound like a good idea. Ski on what you have until you can afford an upgrade. Like another thread on here, if you buy some $50.00 bindings that don't line up, it's obvious why they were $50.00, walk away from the deal. There are plenty of great, used skis out there for a range of prices, don't risk your skiing future on some Frankenstien equipment.

• Baller
@LOTW referring to my bindings post, there's nothing wrong with the bindings nor the plates. The location of the inserts is the issue based on the measurements given to and information received back from Radar, as well as their advice for the safest way to fix.

• Administrators

@Dysco yes yes if you know exactly where the nylon blocks are and you have all the correct stuff to add additional inserts that is absolutely what you should do.

what I'm saying is to randomly drill around on your ski without hitting the nylon blocks means that you are creating a very weak anchor for your binding and you are diminishing the structural integrity of the ski itself.

• Baller

@Pullhard what's the vintage of this older ski?

Connelly's Goodes Obriens I used to buy from Wileys and they'd come screwed right into the ski with #10 sheet metal screws. That's when all this "two sets of holes" comes from.

Moving more modern usually you can get a good number of holes to line up say most of the front binding the front 2 of the rear binding and then you just have a problem needing a couple of inserts and that's when properly done you can install more inserts into skis

If you don't want to do that there are other methods, I've stuck down rear toe plates to skis using 3M VHB tape with no screws (wouldn't do that with a full binding)

• Administrators

@Pullhard I want to unequivocally state that I strongly discourage anybody doing anything like what you did. if somebody wants to fill their ski full of holes and it breaks and they then break their legs, I told you not to do it. Do not have your lawyer call me looking for somebody to pay your medical bills after you broke your ski because you filled it with holes.

• Administrators
@Pullhard just because somebody did it does not mean it's a good idea. it's important to me that on this website we do not normalize dangerous practices.

• Baller

Nice!! I completely agree with Horton’s disclaimer and sentiment above. Keep at it and you will get hurt.

That said... do you at least use a binding plate that runs under both feet? One single plate, not two. The stiffness discontinuity between two separate binding plates just adds to the risk factor here where a single plate can buy back some margin.

I’ve done the same, and probably worse, but I’ve also added more laminate back to ski when appropriate to make up for the damage. And I accepted the risk involved.

If you’re determined to proceed, I would suggest a proof test. Set it on some boards and bounce on it a few times. A ski should easily handle a few hundred pounds of force without breaking. If you snap your ski then you just saved yourself tons of pain and medical bills.

• Baller

FWIW I wouldn't probably ski a 9100 at this point in any way shape or form.

The 9600 technically follows the goode binding manual - but it looks poorly cared for and well used. Also a pass. Does not look like they sealed the unused holes and looks kind of rotten around the rear binding holes.

I think the instructions are basically designed around people who ski a new ski for a year and then sell it to someone who skis it for another year with a different binding and then it goes in the trash.

@Dysco - this is not what you plan to do on your Radar so I'd ignore the thread.

7q3zuhhh6oej.png

• Administrators
@BraceMaker are those 10-year-old instructions? there was a time when ski companies reinforced the top of the ski to allow for screw holes. currently they may reinforce around where they are going to drill and put inserts.

• Baller
@Pullhard Whooa! Those pictures are Scary, so if you have children, people do not leave guns etc,lying around because somebody may pick them up and get hurt, I place both of those skis in the same category, in my opinion they are dangerous, I do not care what anybody else says, they need to have a saw put through the middle of them.