The BallOfSpray Ski Collection

Horton

• Baller
can BOS donate them to organizations or clubs or somehow direct them to folks who cant afford or don't have access? Something along that line? Or have a BOS online auction of them and proceeds go to a good cause?. Seems a waste to have them just accumulating.

• Administrators
@Wish I never got to ski on the 66" version. I lot of pros talk about how good that 66 was. The one I have is the big 67.5. I ran my bindings way back from stock. It is one of my all time most cherished skis.

• Baller

@Horton love the video tour down memory lane. I know you avoid comparing skis, but assuming skis didn’t wear out or get tired, is there one of the oldies you’d still be skiing on in preference over skis of the last 3-4 yrs?

And in that, perhaps a perspective question on new gear: chasing and finding new and improved, or more of a lure down a rabbit hole that is actually a distraction from working on the skier?

• Baller_
I just need one more ski to complete my collection, its the one that had the dampener on the front of my dads skis, he hated that thing, but Im pretty sure it is the only one Im missing. I would love to go back to when I skiied, I had a sixam that was all white with just the undergraphic instead of red and black it was pink and yellow, not sure why but I would spend a fortune to get that one back

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller_

@mike_mapple i had that ski. OBrien G3 Revenge. I thought is was cool to ride the same ski as your dad. When I went to a tour stop that same year, I noticed how much your dad did not like that front plate. His ski was just a graphic of the plate painted on. ?. Started thinkn that it may not be a great ski after all. But your dad could make any ski look amazing ?

w3yznl3ygmen.jpeg

e3auh3b9k36g.png

• Baller_

Those were the days when the pros would ski on fully custom skis, instead of the stock models, I cant tell you how many times I sat in our garage and had to hold carbon down with my finger while my dad used resin. only to hate it and have to start over.

hence the famous dumpster picture of all the old skis lol

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller
@Horton and @Wish I couldn't agree more about the S2. @LOTW I had 2012 67.5, liked it but it was too big. I sold it and got a 2012 66.5. That ski was amazing, bought another used one for a backup. Then upgraded to the 2014 66.5 and it was even better. I am still skiing on that ski but it is finally time to give it up and I now have a new ski on order for the spring. I still have a 2012 I would sell you.

• Baller
I appreciate the offer but my 5'4", 130lbs might be a bit light. I have a fairly extensive collection myself and have always been looking at those but never knew which was the one to have. I just picked up a 65" T3 that I want to ride once this ice and cold bugger off!

• Baller
@Horton the passion you have for the sport shows by the way you have a unique memory for many, if not all, of those skis. I’m curious if there are any skis you got rid of. I think some others asked but are there any skis in your collection you pull back out for a nostalgic ride?

• Administrators
@Wayne @thager yeah there's definitely some skis missing in a collection. Razor, A1, some early Radars and others. I don't exactly recall what happened to them. The one and only rule that i save stuck to since day one is that I never sell and pocket the money for a ski that I didn't pay for.

• Baller
That Obrien G3 was circa 1995 I think. It had the adjustable aluminum flex plates and inside radius side cut forward of the bindings. It was the best onside turning ski I had tried at that time, but turned uncontrollably on the offside for me. I smashed my face severely on the tip and shattered nose and sinus on one side. I have a scan of my face I will share if I can find it. Ended up having surgery to fix everything 12 years later. That ski also had a very high profile fin clamp with plastic end caps that never stayed in. A guy who was skiing with me, on his G3, fell, back foot came out, and slid across the front of the fin clamp. It sheared all of the fleshy part off the outer part of his foot. Had to have emergency surgery for that one. Bottom line, that ski was a menace!