New V12 Malibu Fightcraft motor??

jayski

• Baller

@BraceMaker I'm not, my understanding is that an outboard prop is limited in size and thus water displacement at low RPM is therefore it's inefficient i.e. low speed + high load = large diameter + low pitch

hence why when dock starting with an inboard, you can start with no or one loop and an outboard needs 2 or more loops

• Baller
@chrislandy I'm not following your "outboard prop is limited in size" statement. Large outboards can accommodate up to 16" diameter props and pitches up to 36". A 450hp 6.2Nautique standard prop is a 12.5" (diameter) x 15.5" (pitch). Seems to me the opposite of what you said.

• Baller

They can be just about anything you want them to be these days.

If you had to take all recreational boats sold today and pick only one type of drive configuration I think outboard would be the clear winner as there are certainly a lot of disadvantages to inboards be it DD or VD outside of a very narrow margin.

More so I think that what you are seeing is that waterskiing and boat engines had somewhat different development paths where it was clearly an advantage to have a large 4 stroke engine making 150+ HP when the merc 60 ho outboards were new.

• Baller

@skiinxs I've only seen small props on outboards, so I stand corrected on that point.

BUT, I've also never seen a smallish, slow, semi planing hulled boat that needs a lot of low speed power to use an outboard. Everything I've seen is inboard - but again, that's only what I've seen.

• Baller

@chrislandy I'll put it another way. Surf boats uniquely are well suited for a V-Drive inboard configuration including for safety however they are also limited by that drive format when it comes to spending the rest of the day on the water.

That prop is cool but sharrow quoted me 6 grand for one for an inboard.

• Baller

@chrislandy right I'm just saying as outboards have gotten bigger during the "tritoon" craze of the past say 8 years there are now powerplants that could power an outboard boat that you could surf if it had a platform that extended beyond the prop - said platform could also be a ballast tank.

Imagine a tritoon with an engine well behind the toons but the outer 2 toons extend rearwards and support a tank/platform with wakeshapers. I don't surf but IMO that's a better product than a large V-drive boat - would hold 30 people in my state where pontoons really don't have capacity labels.

To just goes to your comment of surfing near a prop is all - I think the engines are there such that you can now have an outboard surf boat - I think all around it could be more capable than many V-drive surf boats. And if the only risk is prop injury an extended platform would solve for that.

Similarly and to avoid too much surf commentary which will get this thread buried to avoid google optimized hits - such an external/expanded platform would solve my big gripe with outboard ski boats which is getting a ski on while balancing on a 2x2 platform with an engine poking out and a handrail to sit on.