anyone use a strap for skier elbow? (commonly called golfers elbow)

disland

• Baller

What helped me with elbow/forearm pain was curve handle and...not holding to crazy slacks in practice.

Took me 2.5 years to be painfree...

Good luck!

Braces and strapping did nothing for me.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I skied with one of those bands for a while, and it did seem to help. Maybe it just reminded me not to take crazy hits and do other dumb stuff.

What ultimately solved golfer's elbow for me was starting with both palms down, and doing Theraband exercises faithfully (Google "reverse tyler twist").

• Baller
I used one all last season. Developed "tennis elbow" playing over the winter. The one pictured didn't work very well for me. one that is a full strap that Velcros back on itself worked better and stayed in place replaced them about once a month because the would start to stretch or come loose. This is the second time I have had this. The first time I switched to Palms down pull-ups and still do that.

• Baller

@DaveD

Yep,i did ski through pain the first year but gradually with less and less but yes,sadly,2.5 years.

Severe tendinatis from skiing too much that year,165 sets that short summer and holding on to slack for no good reasons in practice.

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

@disland I have had golfer's elbow on and off for 5 years, luckily never to the point where it would hurt skiing. Last year I had even more pain than usual and I was worried it would start affecting my skiing. So, reluctantly, I purchased a curved handle and, together with all the stretches and other treatments I do, it has kept me pain free throughout the season. The keys for me have been compression sleeves (2XU and especially R-Evenge) whenever I am not skiing or working out and stretches similar to the ones that have been posted.

Side note, my first bent handle was a ML. I am now enjoying the InTow bent handle more. I am not sure if it's the responsiveness of the spectra or the fact that it is much lighter, but it felt comfortable right away.

Finally, a useful but often unfeasible thing would be to change handle diameter every now and then.

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

• Baller

Thanks @Luzz ! I was thinking the radial might be better for those times I miss-grab towards the center of the handle. Probably not an issue for you.

You're posting at 7pm EST? Are you in the states or staying up late?

• Baller
I had golfers elbow. Got an InTow bent handle, did the Brad/Bob PT, Jenny Labaw stretching, grip strengthening, started using two hands on top for deep water starts. All these little pieces gave me a pain free season.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

I too had golfers elbow two years ago. Really hurt while skiing - and was certainly affecting my passes. Talked to my sister who is a PT and she gave me some great stretches to work on. In concert with that I went all in and got the radius handle (13”) from In-Tow and went up in diameter. I was previously on a .903 (or something close to that) and went to a 1.03 diameter. What a world of difference - pain free as can be.

Two factors to consider: repeated motion and how hard you hold on/close your fist. Open your fist/hand up and that will relax those tendons/muscles a significant amount.

Also on your starts try using both palms down and switching once out of the water.

• Baller
I have had it too... for me I used a thicker handle (which I hated) and a strap - but one better than the one you have the link for. also you have to reduce the number of sets - or what I found worked the number of passes in each set - and the intensity - drop back a line length or a speed. Do some of those and work up from there.

• Baller
I saw a video where a physical therapist used a tool to rub out the adhesions and scar tissues in the forearm and biceps for a guy that couldn't get rid of golfers elbow. This caused the muscles to quit pulling on the attachment point in the elbow all the time. The guy was instantly pain free. So I went to my physical therapist, and he used a Graston tool to rub out the muscles in my forearm and biceps. It felt like he was going over lots of speed bumps. Felt much better when he was done. Went back a month later to hit it again and the speed bumps were way smaller, and it feels pain free. I also had a shoulder that had a sore spot in front, so he hit the part where the chest meets the forearm, and the upper bicep that pulls on that same spot and that's feeling better also. But just to be sure I give that elbow as much rest as possible, I'm going both palms down on the start this year and switching to a reverse grip.

• Baller

I switched to palms down/bent handle back in 1994 and never returned to the baseball grip after pull ups. Use a 1.060 dia handle.

It helped me with symmetry in pulls staying palms down and stopped me from over pulling.

Pain free since.

• Baller

My ski partner has had this pain for over a year. He started using this strap about a month ago and he swears by it. He had to give up slalom and just trick, but now plans to start slalom again. I had the same pain inside my left elbow but it went away after about a month.

• Members

I've suffered from both "golfers elbow" and "tennis elbow" - in opposite arms. There are several things that have helped over the years.

I use compression straps from Tru-fit and Mcdavid during skiing. Depending on how the elbow in question hurts, I've had success with the strap above the elbow joint (lower end of the biceps) OR below the elbow (traditional use).

I use the Thera-Band Flexbar (green) as per the video above, doing extension-focused work.

I use WODFITTERS latex "flossing" compression bands to help strengthen my forearms during workouts (see video below).

And finally, I use Finger Grip Resistance Bands - again, extension focused - to improve my hand strength, which in turn gives me increased gripping power without straining my forearms (see link below).

FINGER EXTENSION BANDS

• Baller
@disland I have used these for the gym and outside work, they work great for that environment. I have tried these same types in the water and the velcro/spandex system does not work well once wet. You can try a number of different wraps, braces, etc. Here is what I use: pre-wrap and wide hockey tape. Put it on, ski, throw it out, repeat. Works well for the purpose and it's cheap and disposable. I have both golfers and tennis elbow on both arms. 2 surgeries so far on one elbow. All the other things mentioned will help: changing handle diameters, bent handle, palms down getting up, massage therapy, cortisone. Good luck with the elbow(s).

• Baller
@BraceMaker pretty sure your “Tyler twist” recommendation saved my season. I had some limited improvements with other exercises and massage. Really was just maintaining though. Tyler twist 3 times a day for the last week, and today I had my first pain-free set in months. Also didn’t realize how much the pain was affecting my skiing. Today was a blast. Thank you!