Handle diameter

disland

• Baller
Starting a new thread on Handle Diameter. I am having some elbow pain and several folks have advised getting a larger diameter handle. I have relatively small hands and have historically used a bent 1" handle. Before a drop $120 on an experiment I am curious if folks have experience moving to a larger diameter. What size you like, Why you did it (elbow pain, trying to learn to not grip too tight etc), and if it worked.

• Baller
@disland i have small hands also. I started out with a 1.00. And thru time I’m am using a 1.092 or even a 1.125. I have not had any elbow issues and I use a straight bar. You need to try a couple sizes bigger. It may take a couple of sets to get used to it but I will most likely fix your elbow issue. One other thing may be contributing is the rope may be wore out. If the rope is dead it will feel real stiff

• Baller

There are two videos that I have used to stop this issue. Both have done wonders for me. In the 2nd video he recommends to never let the barbell (ski handle for our case) to get down into the fingers as it puts a lot of stress on the "golfers elbow" area. His explanation starts at 3:10 mark on 2nd video. I have used his videos for many years.

He knows his stuff.

u8u0fbh3bmgu.png

I agree on bigger is better, and to alternate. I use a 1.100 and sometimes a 1.125.

I feel like the biggest difference for me was going to the anti roll tie like the Radar Bar Lock pictured above. Doesn't put as much twisting on the hands.

• Baller
@Clydesdale yes, that's what I was thinking, similarly to the ergonomic keyboards that help prevent getting carpal tunnel syndrome in your wrists. Hanging onto the handle might be different than dealing with wrists, though, because, when you have the handle nice and tight, close to your hips with straight arms, I don't see much of a change in joint angles with a 12" vs 13". But I may be wrong, hence I wanted to ask here.

• Baller
All, I tried 1.183 yesterday, took me a couple of passes to get used to it. It was definitely hitting a different part of my forearm and my elbow di not hurt. I did start to lose my grip by the end of the set. I htink 1.183 is a little too big for my small hands. I am going to try 1.092 next

• Baller

@Horton spend a few more bucks and get one of these for rolling the forearms. Under $15 and works great.

I have had surgery twice on the same elbow. Went to bent handle, larger diameter, get up with both hands over the top of handle, and tape the forearms. It all helps, but has not completely cleaned up the pain. Next is some acupuncture.

• Baller
Master line pro lock gloves or Clincher types for the last 25+ years. Can’t ski with anything else now. Use a radius 1.062 handle. Transfers the pull to upper arm and shoulders. No more elbow pain. Straight arms was probably biggest help. Lean away, lock in, blast off.