So we are building a lake...

Spencer_Shultz

• Baller
2 hours ago, chrislandy said:

That feels like a lot! Most man made lakes I've skied on have been quite shallow in the course (4-5ft)

As someone else who’s dug a ski lake that’s at least eight feet deep, there’s another advantage besides safety. Your ski sits in deeper. 

• Baller
10 hours ago, FisherNick13 said:

Just curious, maybe this has already been answered, but what is your budget/projected cost for building your own ski lake?

My parents have that information and have been keeping a record of the receipts. Not sure where we are at currently. If you watched the video, the massive piles of dirt have enough value that they are going to significantly lower the dig cost. 

5 hours ago, chrislandy said:

That feels like a lot! Most man made lakes I've skied on have been quite shallow in the course (4-5ft)

It’s definitely overkill but I’ve always been a fan of how deeper lakes ski. 

• Baller
1 hour ago, Spencer_Shultz said:

My parents have that information and have been keeping a record of the receipts. Not sure where we are at currently. If you watched the video, the massive piles of dirt have enough value that they are going to significantly lower the dig cost. 

It’s definitely overkill but I’ve always been a fan of how deeper lakes ski. 

Few extra feet of depth is just another 5,000 yards of dirt to move.. no biggie 🙄

@Spencer_Shultz is your family doing a DIY dig or paying to have it done? 

Super cool and looks like a great site. 

• Baller
1 hour ago, Mastercrafter said:

Few extra feet of depth is just another 5,000 yards of dirt to move.. no biggie 🙄

@Spencer_Shultz is your family doing a DIY dig or paying to have it done? 

Super cool and looks like a great site. 

Total material we are taking out is in the 140,000-150,000 CY range. 

We are paying. Cannot say enough good thinks about our team at Kissick Construction. 

• Baller
1 hour ago, Spencer_Shultz said:

Total material we are taking out is in the 140,000-150,000 CY range. 

We are paying. Cannot say enough good thinks about our team at Kissick Construction. 

I goofed and did one acre, not 12. Make that 60K more yards of dirt for a few extra feet depth. Anyways.. pointless rambling. 

• Baller
6 hours ago, Ali said:

What is the location? Those trees will provide great protection.

We are exactly 20 minutes east of where the Kansas City Chiefs and Royals play. Trees have us super excited about the protection! 

4 hours ago, Sethro said:

So cool!!!!  Is there a concern for that adjacent creek to ever flood the lake?  Does that run north/south?

We did flood records and are clear of the flood plane. Lake runs NW/SE. 

• Like 1

• Baller
2 hours ago, Mastercrafter said:

Are you pumping as you’re digging? Or ready to let er fill up?

love the wind protection.  That’s awesome.  

We’ve been pumping water out. The hose you see running across the lake has been sitting in our creek keeping it dry. Obviously the weather had other plans! So the plan is to build a temporary dam so they can finish up the dig. But in the mean time, the water in the lake is staying. Thank goodness we got the anchors in, surveyed and recessed. 
I really don’t see wind playing much of a factor. Hopefully I’m right! 

• Baller
On 4/26/2024 at 8:19 AM, Spencer_Shultz said:

We’ve got a freshwater spring that flows in along with 250 acres that runs off into a creek that feeds the lake. 

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

I'm curious if you have any sort of silt pond prior to the creek entering the lake?

• Baller
11 hours ago, Sethro said:

I'm curious if you have any sort of silt pond prior to the creek entering the lake?

Sore subject. Mind you it’s private property, due to environmental agency findings, we could only impact 300ft of the creek since it was deemed a wetland. 
So could we build a silt pond? Yes. Would it cost an absolute fortune in mitigation fees? Yes. 

In time, silt is gonna come in. At some point, probably not in my parents lifetime, the lake will have to be drained and have the silt pulled out. Hopefully I’m wrong, but it’s very possible.