Waterskiing With Plantar fasciitis?

dude

Has anyone tried skiing while trying to heal from PF? I have been nursing mine all season but really want to ski soon. Seems like since the front foot stays locked down flat in the binding, it may not make the condition worse because stretching the arch (i.e. walking up hills) is what irritates mine. I use Radar Vapor boots and was planning to use my custom orthotics in those to support the arch.

This is a common foot injury so I thought someone may have dealt with it. I did NOT injury mine skiing. I did it hiking/walking on steep hills a lot during the winter.

Thanks

• Baller

@dude, i had for more than a while in my back foot. I put a gel heel cup, and that made it better and allowed me to ski.

“If you have plantar fasciitis for more than 10 minutes you are going to the wrong doctor.” Seriously???

• Baller

I am a podiatrist, so I may know a thing or two about it..

In regards to skiing, it shouldnt bother you too much or limit you, especially if it is your front foot. The back foot may be a different story.

The primary thing I would be trying if I was you, would be to put a lift under your heels, either beneath the liner, or under the orthotic within the liner, of about 1/3" to 1/2". This will limit more pressure and strain on your fascia than an orthotic alone.

• Baller

@auskier any tips for a sore Achilles tendon. My left foot wakes up pretty sore in the morning and it takes a bit for it to warm up. First few steps are maybe a 3/10 on the pain scale then throughout the day I noticed it less and less.

I have no pain when I ski and don't seem to have any additional pain after. But in general it's been this way for a few weeks now.

• Members

I had almost unbearable plantar fasciitis 20 years ago (ish), and the best thing the podiatrist was show me how to tape my insteps up with good old non-stretchy white medical tape. High-arch insoles are fine for when you're wearing shoes and bearing your body weight on the insoles. However, nobody spends 24 hours a day on their feet, and when you're not on your feet that expensive insole is doing nothing.

I taped and re-taped my arches so that I had that "lifting" pressure on my soles 24 hours a day for the better part of a month. This meant that I was working on the problem even when I was sleeping. After the first several weeks I slowly weened myself down to just working hours and skiing, and eventually down to just high-arch insoles. It never bothered me again.

• Baller
@keithh2oskier I had the very same issue with my Achilles, even a small lump on it. Lots and lots of stretching eventually got it to go away. Just did the typical lean against the wall 3 to 4 times a day after warming up with 30 seconds of toe raises.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.