Denali C85 review has started

Horton

• Administrators

I am a few rides in on this review. The Adam's originally sent me a small and then told it was not the right size. I rode that ski a few sets and it is really good. This week they finally sent me a Medium and it is even better. So to be clear- at 180ish lbs the Medium is the right size.

I expect writing the text of the review is going to be hard because the ski just works.

Below is the unboxing of my small a few weeks ago

• Baller
I concur with "the ski just works". We finally got our course in Tuesday and I only have 4 passes on it so far, but I have no doubt a new PB is in my near future and by more than a couple balls. A new slalom never felt so comfortable to me.

• Baller
@Horton So far stock numbers? I am very interested in this ski, but I'm not a tweaker and don't have a lot of extra time to sort the ski out. All indications was that the c75 was a ski that needed to be tweaked a lot. Also I was told the c75 was a lot of work in the course.

• Administrators
@PatM Yes the 75 was very finicky on settings. I discourage skiers from tweaking a lot on it but I understand your apprehension. with the 85 I personally recommend stock numbers - leave it alone go ski.

• Baller
@Horton guessed i missed the finicky nature of ski to settings in reviews. Boots, fin, both? Did you stick close to stock? My focus probably different than yours (28/32 @34) Thxs

• Baller_
my c85 "just works better" than the c75 of last season. I just ordered a fresh c85 last night, 175lbs on a medium. If anyone would like to try my c75 from last season, or the c85 from early this season (has c75 graphics but is the c85 shape) send me a PM, pay the shipping to/from and try for the 2 week period. Or just step up and order a new ski, you'll be glad you did.

• Administrators

Sorry guys. Have been traveling for the last few weeks. I will be back working on the review this week.

I can tell you it floats & it very much does not suck.

• Administrators
@The_MS Yes there's no doubt that the final review will be gushingly positive about the 85. unfortunately for those of you who are impatient I just need a bunch of back-to-back rides to figure out how to describe it. If the question is - is it an extremely good ski then the answer is yes and you can stop reading.

• Administrators

Yes I have. I need to remeasure but I think I am almost stock.

.007 longer than stock and 8 degrees. I only did this to make the ski shut down better on the gate glide.

• Administrators
I'm skiing on the medium although I might get curious and jump back on the small to see. With the stock settings the medium does seem to be appropriately sized for my weight and height.

• Administrators
@tjm I kind of depends on what zone you set it up in. I would say it's not over the sensitive. probably comparable to the other very good skis on the market at the moment.

• Baller

@Stevie Boy .. Have to disagree about the C75 being a Stallion. I have found mine to be one of the easiest, most forgiving skis ever. The ski just does whatever you tell it to do and has NO bad habits. You simply tune it the way you want it to perform, and is NOT sensitive to fin changes. I am so happy with the C75 I am finding it hard to switch to the C85. Probably will out of curiosity, but not any time soon.

• Baller
@Ed_Johnson I agree with you. Love my c-75. Could adjust it darn near anywhere and still run passes. Very easy to tune it and try new settings. I had a bit of a time with the 85. I find it a little more finicky to settings than the 75 but when you find them it will come alive.

• Baller
I'd imagine @horton you would prefer to retire this particular 'segment' of the site. I would, just ride em and enjoy em without the pressure of trying to think up something to write. It's a top end ski, most of them are good we get it..

• Administrators
@rockdog yes and no. Sometimes it is fun and sometimes it is a grind. The more distinctive a ski is the easier it is to write the review. The C75 is very distinctive. It is so different from almost any other ski that the review wrote itself. The C85 on the other hand is just easy to ride. That is good news for Denali customers but it is bad news for anyone trying to write an analysis.