Handle guards

tjm

• Baller_
@cam What handle were you using, 12” or 13”, coated or uncoated, and if uncoated, normal rope or spectra? Lastly, arm guard or not ( I understand @cam is a “not”)? If anyone else can provide info on other handle related arm or neck injuries, I’m interested in collecting accurate data.

Lpskier

• Baller
@Deanoski could you elaborate a bit on what a soft guard is and what happened to you, honestly I never even knew these guards existed or that there was a risk before reading about it on here, I will be getting one for next season want to make sure I get the right one.

• Baller

@vernonreeve i have handle guards for 14” and larger handles. I can make one that works for most any type handle.

@lefty yes, I make them for the Ergo handles.

The mob handle guards are hard plastic and relatively stiff.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller_
@MDB1056 Notice how the plastic coating on the V ensures that the handle cavity remains open and a target for a body part? I think a spectra line with no plastic coating other than 3" finger guards would more easily allow the handle to fold once you let go and present a smaller target. FYI, a 13" handle makes for an even bigger target.

Lpskier

• Baller
I believe we all try and toss the handle if you have the opportunity while going down but that millisecond is often unavailable or has passed as fast as stuff happens. I would suggest Plan B if possible is to keep the handle in your hand until down and you can release awayfrom your body

• Baller
When Aiden Willers had his arm through the handle, he said he had thrown the handle away in an attempt to get it away from him. However he had lost track of which way was which and threw it away from the boat and it came back to him and caught his arm. I think best to hold on until the boat pulls it out of your hand.....if you can keep you're witts in the moment.

• Baller
@MDB1056 In actual fact, the handle is 4 or 5 feet away (closer to the boat) than any part of me is in that picture so it's not as close of a call as it might appear. I'm not sure what caused me to fall like that (bad form on the turn obviously) but I have never had a fall like that before or since that picture was taken 14 or 15 years ago. Just my luck that whomever it was that was taking photos of my run happened to snap the shutter at this very instant just in time to capture such an ignominious (and embarrassing) moment. :#