Is your boat underinsured?

Cnewbert

• Baller
The high demand for new and used boats in the past year combined with a very limited supply has resulted in an escalation of used boat prices as most everyone here is aware. It might be a good time to review your boat’s insurance coverage. Based on an evaluation of the replacement cost for a similar boat in model year, hours, condition and extras to our 2020 Prostar, our local MC dealer estimated a replacement cost $20,000 higher than we had it insured for. Our insurance underwriter accepted their estimate, so should the unthinkable happen and our boat get totaled, at least we have a chance of replacing it with something of similar high quality.

• Baller

Just be sure to really read what they say in the full policy. I've seen people think they have an agreed value particularly on collectors cars but which are written as a stated value policies. And then after a claim had the insurance challenge the stated value. Particularly on rare un-restored vehicles.

• Baller

@RichardDoane depending that can be something best addressed on your umbrella policy.

Usually you have to get to some minimum amount on the individual item like 500K of liability on the boat/car/house - and then after that you can get the liability on the umbrella for less than on the boat.

• Baller
@Mateo_Vargas that is a bummer! But that was the reason for my post. I was certainly underinsured until someone else brought this up on a FB ski group. Very sorry about your friend’s boat! Death to all thieves!