Connection and swing - help please !

Deep11

• Baller

Looking for a little advice.

On the back of Adam C’s post earlier in the season on “swing and connection” I’ve been having fun seeing if I can implement some of the advice he offered.

It’s feeling good and for the last couple of months i’ve been skiing 14 and 13m pretty much in my sleep, the “wheels come off” at 12m though and generally around 2 ball (as here).

Watching the video makes me sad as it really looks like I’m just giving up.

On the water however it “feels” as though there are a couple of things going on:

1. I’m too fast into 1 and then more so into 2.

2. I dont actually know how to handle the turn at this line length to emerge in the correct position.

Dont really want to keep doing the same for the next couple of months - Can anyone see any glaringly obvious issue that I am missing? Or just let me know what I should be doing in the turn to keep the line tight.

Thanks in advance :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s16durp6lnvh8qg/Video%2002-08-2021%2C%2021%2015%2052.mov?dl=0

(I can post to youtube if easier)

• Baller

That is looking great! The two things you are missing have to do with intensity and timing.

While you’re making the moves through center very well, your intensity overall looks very low. As the rope get shorter the loads WILL go up, and you need to be prepared to handle them. Get more aggressive on your 28 and 32 passes, because you’re going to need that aggression at 35.

The second part is about timing with the boat vs the course. As the rope gets shorter you will necessarily be later relative to the buoys in order to stay in time with the boat. It’s just the geometry of the handle’s path around the pylon. You need to accept that you’re going to be narrower coming into the ball, and further down course on the back side of the turn as the rope gets shorter. Pay attention to the boat to keep the line tight and keep skiing!

• Baller_
@Zman yes, but the correct speed. For me it’s the large speed swings that are bad. You need to keep your maximum speeds to the minimum side and your minimum speeds to the maximum side of the swings in speed. Don’t get ahead of the boat.

• Baller

@The_MS - were you watching me working on this today ?

Raised the intensity and felt faster in to the bouys but video showed that it was at the expense of the “connection” off the second wake. (Need to keep to the plan).

Importantly though focusing on turning a 1 bouy about 3-4m further down course than the actual bouy allowed me to make it to 5 :) @12

So progress ?

• Baller

@AdamCord said "The second part is about timing with the boat vs the course. As the rope gets shorter you will necessarily be later relative to the buoys in order to stay in time with the boat."

This is without a doubt one of the most difficult thing to ingrain and change in skiers and so very true...this statement should REALLY be taken to heart

• Baller

@jayski - YUP.

One of the reasons the timing with the boat is so critical is because what we are really doing is controlling timing of the THROTTLE within the course while we control our physical position relative to the boat.

The more out of sync you are with the boat, the more throttle the boat gives you CLOSER to the next ball. This is not a fun situation.

You want to figure out how to get throttle and energy out of the boat as far up course as you can to ensure the maximum amount of deceleration into the turn finish.

• Baller

@adamhcaldwell "The second part is about timing with the boat vs the course. As the rope gets shorter you will necessarily be later relative to the buoys in order to stay in time with the boat."

with that statement what letter do you run?

• Baller

The setting is less relevant, because the time delta between that versus the distance a skier might travel down-course of the ball before connecting with the boat is MASSIVE in comparison.

But....since you asked.

I ride A2, B1, C2 and sometimes C3. All depends on what the boat crew is like, what particular ski setup is that Im playing with, and what I am feeling on the given boat/lake im riding.

I find that ski setups that decelerate MORE into apex and are slightly slower to turn do better with B1 and A2 for me. (Longer Shallower Setups).

Fins that are slightly faster and will keep speed out to apex better, I like a C setting.

A slower setup (or a bigger but not necessarily "stronger" person might find C settings to be harsh where the boat is on the too fast - and their ski/mass cannot get moving fast enough to stay easily connected to the rapidly accelerating boat. Then 'B' or 'A' will give a touch more time to get the ski and body moving out of the ball and likely be more connected passing CL (which is a critical element for keeping the swing moving into the next ball)

But, for someone like me whos strong for their size, C settings can RIP and create crazy amounts of space. I like to load up fast off the ball. Sometimes the 'A's can feel too soft. However, if the setup is right and the speed at the buoy is right and flowing back downhill, 'A' can be a really forgiving and fun setting.

Now, add in ropes and crew weight, engines, 3 4 blade prop, water temp, energy level, fuel???? Who knows what's right..... Just play around until you find something that works best for you! There is no right answer unfortunately.

• Baller

bumping this one back up because I'm at a similar state with my skiing, just slightly different problem. The last month or so I've been able to get in the course several days a week. 34mph and my 15-28 passes are automatic. I have had multiple scenarios of 5 at 32 and this week I finally nailed a couple of those 32's though they were still kind of scrappy. Dabbled at 35, but getting killed on slack at 1. Really been focusing on my pull out, glide and turn in, with the "aggression" needed to create space for 1 without the excess speed and slack. Where I'm struggling is the turn in when my timing is slightly off (via pull out, head/tail wind, etc) If I don't time it just right I struggle getting the speed/stack necessary. Any suggestions on how to counter act an early/late pull out and still have a chance at 1? Essentially opening the "skiing window" and not relying on the absolute perfect pull-out gate timing. I'm confident if I can keep getting a better 1, 32 will become easier and 35 may perhaps go down!

For what its worth, I run B2 on zero off and 87 octane in my 07' 196 :) .

• Baller

@Deep11 I'd like to add a little something on your gate. You need to get further up on the boat at the start. It's very hard to "gain" width once in the course. Pull out more aggressively, and turn in from a much wider spot. Your gate shot currently is after you've fell back about 10 feet, and then just more of a "windshield wiper" move.

Pull out wide and initiate that turn in much more balanced and centered...more on you front foot. Good luck!