Can only pick one: New Ski or Ski School?

Slalom.Steve

• Baller_

My budget dictates that for next year, I can either get a new ski, or go to a week of ski school, but not both. Which one would better help my progress as a skier?

I'm still learning the course, skiing 15off. I'm getting very consistent at 30mph, and making a little less than half my 32s. Feels like I'm progressing well. Here's video of me at 32mph (keep any technique discussion in that thread).

I'm currently on a 2016 67" Radar Vapor Lithium. I'm 5'10", 155-160lbs so the ski is a little oversized, but that's actually probably been good at slower speeds.

Despite my daydreams of a C85 or those sexy new 2022 Vapors... I'm 99.9% sure I know the answer for me right now: ski school, ski school, ski school. But I'm curious to see the discussion, and my brother and I have been debating: at what point would a new ski become the better choice? Like, how old does my ski have to get and/or how far down the line do I have to progress to where getting a new ski would be more beneficial than ski school in a given year?

Thanks!

• Supporting Member

Not a close call. Literally the only reason to buy a c85 right now is to evilly laugh at poor Adam Caldwell trying to build skis fast enough to meet demand after @Horton's review.

But the real answer is: Go to Trophy Lakes and learn from the c85 builder himself!

• Supporting Member

To answer the rest of your question:

I doubt there is a point where a new ski is a better performance-improving investment than working with a good coach, unless the ski has completely broken down. At 32/-15, that should take at least a decade.

Of course, new skis are FUN. Don't forget entertainment has real value.

• Baller_

Alright, answers as expected :)

One last addendum to this question - does is change anything that for my weight, I should really be on a 66"? Like once I'm at 34mph and 22off, would picking up a used 66" be helpful? If it's used, I ought to be able to swing both school and a ski together.

• Baller

A decent coach for the day will also help you setup the ski if needed. I've just come back from a kids coaching day and all 9 kids progressed significantly. Some had kit changes (as the skis were not right for them) but most had a few tweaks to binding positions, fin settings etc.

in 3 sets, we had one kid who had only learnt to drop last week, running the full course; others got pb's; nailed new tricks etc so coaching is well worth every penny

• Baller
Just to throw out one more option, send your video to Terry Winter for analysis. I think it's about $75. His video analysis has helped me more than private lessons because it makes it easy to see for myself what I need to improve on, and I can compare it to new videos to see if I'm doing it yet or not. I'd love to go to a ski school that provides video feedback, but it's hard to justify the time and cost to get there being that I'm in Montana.

• Baller

Ski school. A 67'' isn't that big for you skiing 30 and 32 mph. Even if you start running some 34's your openers will likely be 30 and 32.

Sure that was my former (and current make/model/length) at 185-195 lbs but we are talking 28 off 34 openers and a complete 38 off on a good day--sure a little more body weight for me vs. you but also tons more speed over the water.

That 67 may be more stable thu the 22 off wakes when you get there, too, than a shorter ski would. Maybe look for that 66 when you hit 28 off 34.

Ski school.

If you can get a number of skiers at your lake involved sometimes the pro skier will come to you--splits up costs, avoids travel.

I've taken lessons in MN with Wade Cox, Chris Parrish, Austin Abel. In Florida with the GOAT Andy Mapple and also with Jodi Fisher. Bro Jim did all of those same lessons and also skied with the Adams, Lucky Lowe, Trent, Chet Raley.

We didn't get good by accident. Go get some coaching--lots of choices. If going to FL the nice thing is you can treat it like a mini-vacation away from home, too.