2022 Western Regionals (3 or 4 days)

Not_The_Pug

• Baller

There is a lot of talk about regionals currently and whether we try some new options or keep it the same. A lot of people have probably heard, Bell Acqua put in a bid for 2022 western regionals and it was accepted by the council. We have had a lot of discussion between ourselves about whether to do it over 3 (Fri - Sun) or 4 (Thurs - Sun) days. There are pluses and minuses to both options.

Before you vote, please read the following qualifiers:

3 days:

1) Would be held on all 3 lakes and would require a lot more from officials and volunteers. If voting for 3 days are you willing to help more with judging, video or dock starting? Also if you are close, would you be willing to upgrade your officials rating before regionals (Regular or Senior)?

2) Practice would be limited to day before regionals and if any time remaining once lake is complete for the day.

3) Could be longer days to get everything completed (Jrs for the banquet Sat night).

4) Less vacation used or could extend vacation to visit Northern CA (Tahoe, Napa, Bay Area)

4 days:

1) Would most likely be held on two lakes and one lake would be dedicated to practice. Could be more relaxing days and end earlier so could have practice on the other two lake too.

2) Would not over work the officials as much.

3) Would be able to watch more of the skiing and/or family members ski if helping or skiing on another lake.

There are other issues and positives to each option, but these are the main concerns.

Also, please only vote if you are a Western Regional skier. Want to see what skiers would like to see happen and add their thoughts to our discussion about the format.

• Administrators
As a skier I'm sure I would prefer the three day event. As an event organizer I understand that the four day event would be substantially easier to administrate and more profitable for the LOC.

• Baller
I would do four days just in case of any issues that may come up. I would also make the days Wednesday thru Saturday and use Sunday as an overflow day from any event that maybe pushed to the next day. Or Sunday for a travel day people most likely will be back to work on Monday.

• Baller

So I haven't decided if I will ski regionals yet. I just renewed my membership after lapsing for the last decade after college. I should qualify easily for M3 and am signed up to ski a tournament next month.

I remember when I was in B3, it seemed like M3 was huuuuge, now not so much. I live 25 min away. I really have no reason not to other than it's a $125 tournament set...

But in general if I can take less time off work, the better.

• Members
Regionals being in Sacramento for the first time in 9 years suggests that it will be a very well attended event. @Mateo_Vargas is right. I don't think scheduling it for three days is a good idea. What if it is scheduled for only Fri-Sun and then 50% to 100% more skiers sign up than skied in Colorado this year. I believe that will likely be the case. 4 days is safer and less stressful, plus it allows folks to get practice rides on the lake they will actually be skiing on rather than just a dedicated practice lake.

• Baller
@Mateo_Vargas and @brettmainer with 3 days on 3 lakes vs 4 days for 2 lakes it gives you 9 days vs. 8 days. So you actually end up with more options. Also the last time Bell Acqua did regionals the number of skiers was only in the mid 300's. The last time is was over 400 in the region was when Nationals was in Bakersfield. The number of skiers is not the issue, it is making sure we don't over work the officials and if people have to have a lot of practice. Practice would only be available on the actual tournament lakes if they finish early enough (and site briefing day).

• Baller
From a skier traveling 9+ hours I like 3 days. I get the desire for 4 days from a volunteer/organization stand point. 4 days wouldn't prevent me from attending, just not my preference.