looking for a unicorn...

fruityrumdrinks

I'm in Michigan, looking for an older Mastercraft Prostar to purchase. Specifically, the '93-'96 190(if a '93 it must be the LT-1 engine, or the '93(LT-1)-'95 205- no '96 as the hull on the 205 changed in '96. Ideally with >700 hours and in good shape exterior and interior wise, although we have a great upholstery person so we could possibly work with that. Please help! :)

• Baller_

I got the impression that the ask was for a 205, as the original post mentions the 205 hull change in 1996.

Edited. I re-read it and the ask is for either a 190 or a 205, but pre-1996 if a 205. In both cases, want the fuel injection.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

Note that the hull changed on the 190 in 1995. You are considering 1995 and 1996 in your range for the 190. And, if that is OK, the 1997 will also have the same hull as the 1995 and 1996.

Agree with @Wish on the SportStar. Same hull, just less frills. They made that particular hull into 2000, I believe.

• Baller

The 190 got new hulls in 91, 95, and 98.

The 91-94 hull is well loved, as is the 95-97 but they are different boats, the 95-97 has great wakes, improved tracking, and less spray. But I cannot stand the window, it has 2 curved panels with a split down the middle as opposed to the 91-4 that has the flat center. That curve gives you weird distortion towards the edges and the mirror is in a weird spot. That's a very minor complaint but would push me towards the 94>95-97

The 205 is on a different development path and was new in 91, updated for 96, but that hull stayed the same till 2000. I've actually never been behind the older one but the 96-2000 direct drive versions I've been impressed by. Not the V-drive that's just the same thing as the early x-star and if you've ever slalomed behind an x2 its just like that.

• Baller_

MasterCraft TeamTalk has the hull histories. A user named C36 has done incredible threads on the 190 and the 205. Here is snapshot of their thread on the 1995-1997 Prostar 190, which includes the SportStar.

kezs5vbosl5q.jpg

• Baller

Not sure if you want LT-1 b/c of HP or efi? The bolt on marine version of the Holley Sniper FI conversion kit has received favorable reviews from those who have converted. If you are eliminating carbed boats b/c you want EFI - that would open up a lot of boats in the used market.

I'm old school, my '92 205 w/ 351h.o. and Holley carb and Acme 541 gets the job done quite nicely. Doesn't have throttle response of efi and she takes a minute or two to warm up....but at 60y/o...so do I.

• Baller_

Here are the threads from TeamTalk with the overall history of the 190/197, the history of the specific 1995-1997 version, and the history of the 205. These are very informative and detailed.

I owned a 2000 Prostar 205 and it was a very good boat. It had the usual 22 off bump, but the rest of the line lengths were great. Have some video of some passes through the course, if desired. I'd still have it, if I didn't need to get a Zero Off boat.

Regarding the LT-1, I thought I had heard some concerns about getting parts for that engine as well as some oil consumption issues. Others may know more. I would still recommend an EFI engine, though.

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=29236

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=14622

https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=15198

Hope that helps.

• Baller
definitely before you buy....... @swc5150 boat above is gorgeous. He says in WI but registration says TN. Must be a recent acquisition. As I recall there were a couple of very sweet 93-94's that moved last year, before things got super crazy....

• Baller
Yes, it now has a WI registration. I wired the money to the seller before skiing, driving or even laying eyes on it. The first time I saw it was when the uship guy dropped it off at my house. I had to have it, and wasn't disappointed :)

• Baller
Funny... my wife sold a couple of household things on FB Saturday, and the buyer offered to buy my '94 unicorn sitting in our garage when he saw it. Then yesterday at the boat landing, a dude took notice and walked over to admire. He said his buddy just paid $22k for a '94 he found in TN. Yikes!