Eng Pos Sensor Timing Signal Error can any help

actman

I have a 2011 ski Nautique 200 Excalibur 5.7L The boat starts fine but at any speed at some point in time I can get a hesitation for a few seconds. Sometimes when I am just in gear and it happens it shuts down the boat. The error code is the title of this topic showing up. I have a new fuel filter and last year replaced plugs/ wires/ rotor/distributor/ battery /starter with no issues. The dealer said it could be Crank Position Sensor or Cam position Sensor. From other posts kinda close to my situation they changed the Throttle Sensor. Has anyone had this happen and what did you change out? Keep in mind I have no starting issue before or after it shuts the boat down. I had just filled up full of gas but the gas station is brand new and I used gas in my car with no issues from that station. Still i will try fresh gas and some seafoam cleaner stabilizer.

• Baller

SPN 636 FMI 8 Crank and/or Cam Could Not Synchronize During Start

Diagnostic Aids

Check that crankshaft and/or camshaft position sensor(s) is/are securely connected

to harness

Check that crankshaft and/or camshaft position sensor(s) is/are securely installed

into engine block

Check crankshaft and/or camshaft position sensor(s) circuit(s) wiring for open circuit

• Baller
As @Kelvin said please post the specific code fault code numbers. But from the subject text, assuming it's exactly as stated on the boat screen, it sounds like an error with crank and/or cam position feedback. So yes, dealer is likely correct that it's either the crank or cam position sensors, or a wiring issue to one of those sensors. And it sounds like it's an intermittent error, which makes it a little more likely to be an intermittent wire harness issue.

• Baller

When a crankshaft position sensor begins to fail, they can act badly all of a sudden, or fail only when the engine warms up and the heat effects the failing sensor.

On my 2016 Txi, the CPS is the same as used in late 90s Suburbans with 5.7L engine. Cost $79 at Auto Zone with lifetime warranty.

SPN 636 FMI 2 is likely your CPS beginning to fail, IMHO.

Thanks for all the help so far. I will add new gas and seafoam this weekend. Doubt that will resolve it. I will check the sensor wires and connections. If I still have an issue I will try Crankshaft position sensor first and buy it most likely at Napa or parts store up here.

UPDATE..... I bought the sensors and prepared to figure it out. Took the boat for a spin to make sure it was still hesitating. I ran my gas down with seafoam. Put fresh gas in from a different station. It ran all weekend no issues. The station I had bought the gas from opened brand new in June so it must be where they get the gas from. A friend on the lake confirmed it as well. He said his boat was doing strange things and his truck gas milage went way up. Thanks for all the help on here! I will hold on to the sensors one more weekend just in case.