Senate Pro Build vs V Type R

03RLXi

I've been offered a 2019 Senate Pro Build blank for similar price to a 2021 Senate Alloy. Seems like a good deal, however I'm concerned it may be too much ski more me, particularly as on a small lake with other boat wakes, wind and hence 80% free ski and at most 20% course. In course I'm currently running 15' off and 46/49kph

This is follow up to https://www.ballofspray.com/forum#/discussion/25913/2016-syndicate-v-type-r-vs-2021-omni-or-senate

• Baller

If the ski is the right size for your weight and speed there is no worry about it being too high end.

@horton has said it before… the only disadvantage to the top end skis is the price. All features will benefit any level skier but you may not fully appreciate or notice all those features.

Now the question of does one ski brand suit your style of skiing is a different question all together :)

• Baller
Just don't get frustrated if it feels quite a bit different at first. Similar but different....I recently went from a 2017 V-Type R to a 2018 Vapor Pro Build (couldn't find a Senate Pro Build in my price range when I was looking) and it certainly is taking some time to adjust.

• Baller

" @horton has said it before… the only disadvantage to the top end skis is the price. All features will benefit any level skier but you may not fully appreciate or notice all those features. "

I assume that's only referring to flex and not shape? I can understand it making sense if always in great conditions, coached, etc however I thought stiffer can cause problems when learning and on less than perfect water?

• Baller

Since learning to slalom I have only ever skied on HO System 8 which I purchased and HO V Type R which I borrow. I was thinking Omni or Senate based purely on reviews that they good to learn course with and for free skiing fairly aggressively. Based on my first thread I'd decided to just to keep using V Type R but then out of the blue got offered the Senate pro yesterday.

• Baller
I have a 69" 2020 Senate Graphite am 6'2" 200lbs 32mph 15-22Off skier improving every set on the course and also ski open water, as others have mentioned the shape is the same between the build constructions; however, the builds do make it a much different ski (Graphite vs Pro etc). I should have opted for the pro build as people suggested. I think you would love the Senate Pro. The pro is stiffer and rebounds faster albeit under control vs my graphite. Possibly the graphite offers more suspension flex through a choppy lake; however at 6'2" 200lbs, I prefer a stiffer ski in chop as well, as it prevents the ski from getting overly active. With my graphite senate with certain wind textures on the water I sometimes feel a weird harmonic vibrations through the ski that makes it feel like it is slowing down, I like it best on glass.

• Baller
I’d go with that Pro Build, all day long. Even if you don’t like it, the resale on the high end skis is higher and easier to sell. I haven’t found an HO that I really got along with since the A2. I have loved the Radars. Like Horton said though, they are SO different. The Radars seem to fit MY skiing. May not fit yours. Some people loved the V Type R. I did not. That Senate will carry you better at your speeds than the VTR, so you may like it for that and you will VERY LIKELY, never be too good a skier for that ski. My ski partner rides a Senate through mid 38 off

• Baller
I’m a Connelly guy so no vote here, but I can say my main ski buddy brought a brand new Senate Pro home from nationals (M7) and has never skied better. He’s running passes consistently, turning much better and has better form. The ski is definitely hooking up more for him too. Plus it’s a gorgeous ski. He’s coming off of a Syndicate Omni

• Baller

Had my first tows on the 2019 Senate Pro Build during my summer holiday break. Wow, it feels so stable and sure footed! Initially I thought it was slow however then realised the difference is it builds speed smoothly and progressively, not the 'ping' acceleration I'd get from the VTR. Really helped me get my weight forward. Definitely a keeper! Had my Animal binding and RTP on it. Will try it with Animal rear boot in a couple of weeks when get another chance to ski.

• Baller

I'm not on a Senate. I ski with three people I ski with three individual that are. It is a wider ski. Makes for getting out of the water easier. I'm impresse. It's fast and they all appear to be on the high end of their potential. One is a record holder, in their age divisoon. I would consider firering one up. As to which model? If your a river rat, all would be great. If ski the course, you would be better off with at least a carbon.