Spectating at Worlds

Keukaskier

• Baller
I’m interested in going down to Sunset Lakes to watch Worlds in a couple weeks but I can’t find any info on what to expect. Is there a link somewhere that I’m not seeing?Is there an area for spectators? Do I buy tickets? Are there vendors? Can I bring a chair and a couple beers? What should I expect if I head down there? Thanks for the info!

• Baller
Spectators welcome, designated areas, no admission is charged. Food vendors on site, not sure about. industry vendors. BYO seating, shade, etc. Schedule of events on IWWF website. Top tier slalom prelims on Thursday, trick and jump Friday, 8am start both days. Slalom and women's trick finals Saturday, jump and men's trick finals Sunday, 9am start times both days. Have fun.

• Baller
thinking of flying down from Canada to watch worlds. we usually get to Charleston to watch Malibu Open, but can't swing it this year. Wife really enjoys Charleston's downtown and great restaurants etc... What's appealing to wives near Groveland? any advice where to stay, etc... @The_MS I will have cooler full of IPA's and willing to share...

• Baller
@tru-jack honestly, not much appeal to Groveland. Clermont, right up the road offers far more in the way of restaurants, hotels and other activities. I live in Clermont and can drive to Jack's in about 15 minutes, so it is close. For hotels, there is a Hampton Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn express and also house rentals at Swiss Ski School. Oh, and plenty of liquor stores for picking up that IPA......

• Baller
@tru-jack assume Swiss will be open for skiers...call and make a reservation. (407-968-3481) Know several worlds participants will be practicing there, so check for sure. If you bring your ski and the winds cooperate, I would be happy to give you a pull. Full disclosure....we ski EARLY in the morning!

• Baller

@Keukaskier :

My ski buddy @web and myself will be there (at worlds) Saturday and Sunday and would love to say hi/ introduce ourselves, @web grew up on Keuka Lake and I live in the Conesus Lake area so we are local. We will be hanging out at the Lapoints tent alot as we have a bunch of friends there that we are meeting up with.

We will also have a cooler full of NEIPA, we found a great local Orlando brewery that does a great job with hazy NEIPA, Elipsis Brewing

I will PM you my cell # so we can connect

Would also love to meet some other Ballers there as well, would be great to put some faces to some Baller Handles.........my only question is where is the WORLDS AFTER PARTY?? ?

@lpskier looking forward to seeing you at Worlds and skiing with you at Lapoints!

• Baller

As a public service announcement for all out of staters coming to the Worlds, here is a list of a number of excellent Florida brewed IPAs that are widely available and that have done very well in our weekly Battle of the Beers. We can recommend all of them, though not necessarily in one night:

Jai Alai 7.5%

Oyster City Apalach 6.9%

La La Land 7%

Ursa 7.1%

Hurricane Reef 6.5%

Sailfish Sunrise City 7%

Rome City 5.8%

Mad Manatee 6.5%

Fancy Papers 6.5%

and of course…

Florida Man 8.5%

• Baller

@DW - Biggest crowd ever. Period. ?

Honestly - Hard to guess (at least for me).

I was there Thursday and Yesterday all day. It was crowded but not overcrowded. But there’s a ton of space available at Sunset Lakes.

Maybe 300 - 400 people, really hard to give a good estimate.

• Baller_

It “seems to me” that the crowd was bigger at Jack’s than at Swiss in ‘03. I was at both and recall being disappear the crowd size in 03, but I thought there was a good crowd Saturday and Sunday this year.

@DavidN Yes, they were “Yuge.”

Lpskier

• Baller

@DW I would guess around 400 people were there on Saturday. This was my first time at a professional water ski tournament. Considering it was the Worlds and held at a premiere site in what some consider to be the water ski capital, I was shocked at how few spectators were there.

I live 2 hours away and drove in for the day with my daughter. We were both thrilled to be there. Both finals were very exciting. We couldn't believe how nice and accessible all the athletes were throughout the day. Most exited the lake right were we were sitting. Nate was high-fiving little kids who ran up to him and posed with many folks right at the edge of the water.

We were so glad that we went. I'm not sure why more people do not attend. It's free! No charge for parking. Great venue. We plopped our camping chairs down and had an awesome day.

• Baller
@klindy Predator Bay planned it very well, they used a different entrance for world's and had tons of parking just west of the lakes, they had parking attendants and even concerts during the event. That white tent on the turn island was a stage and the bands would play from there!

• Baller_

Wasn’t sure where to put this. Don’t think there’s a thread on side slides.

Credit to David Crowder FB post and I believe the photographer.

An S turn for the full buoy is so yesterday. A side slide is the hip thing to do....literally.

.......zoom in

6j4et306uwmi.jpeg