JR WARM UP

3 SKIERS - 2 JUMPS EACH

JUMP OPEN WOMEN FINAL

5 SKIERS

OPEN MEN FINAL

8 SKIERS

AWARDS

• Baller_

@markn, I think they might consider the times from SurePath as official, especially since they now feed directly into the scoring program. The only issue for a reride that I can see in that circumstance is that the ZO would be keeping the pre-gate speed boost on later or stopping it earlier than expected. Thus, a skier could say the feel from the boat changed for some skiers when the mapping was lost.

Times were still good. Mapping and pre-gate algorithm were not.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I can't for the life of me understand a driver (senior at that) going through 4 skiers, getting no times from ZO and just keep on going.

Tony regaling us with his knowledge of the rules concerning changing settings (not new this year), and what the settings do (got it backwards)....stick with what you do know.

On to the third subject in one post. @S1Pitts hit on something that I was thinking. Kinda makes me feel like an unwilling peeping tom. I'm concerned about the camera person. Just stop with these camera angles.

• Baller_
The D3 ski broke just behind the rear binding. There are 6 inserts there. Freddy is a brute. Only the top layer of the ski was intact . . I don't know why that didn't break with the huge deflection of having no bottom structure.

• Baller
Caldwell is 39, still skiing 36mph, and making the finals and podium at a pro slalom tournament while having (I'm assuming) a full time job, a side business building skis, AND training at this level? That's about as badass as it gets. Next level. New fan right here.

• Baller

Tony's so good when he's has color support like he got from Freddie. It's too much to ask one person to commentate these long events by themselves.

Slalom events today were second to none. Semi's and finals for both women and men were great!

• Baller
Incredible broadcast. Loved that between line lengths there was so much more footage of what goes on at these events. For someone who has never been to an event, it was great to see what goes on off the water. I learned a lot.

• Baller_
Fred Winter Ski break . . . When a Pro skier loses his slalom ski, do they all have a matching ski to replace it in a hurry ? I recall Bob Lapoint (Probably 1985 Nationals) having his ski lost by the Airlines. He spend several days near the tournament site trying to tune up a replacement, but he didn't have a good performance on Sunday. Back then skiers were shaping their skis with sandpaper, which means you can't pull out an equal ski in a hurry. How has that changed ? For a skier like Freddie Winter, does he just go with the flex pattern data and fin/binding setup to keep a spare on hand ? or are the pro skiers still using sandpaper ? or ?

• Baller

Nice job by TWBC. @Sethski and @EM_ did great jobs as the lake side interviews. Agree Tony has to carry too big of a load and had some mis-speaks. (Zero Off settings explanation and YES You CAN buy the TGas Goode if you want one)

My biggest area for improvement - just constructive criticism - would be with the audio. They eventually fixed the echo-feedback on day one. But the Microphone picking up the waves breaking on shore was too much and too often they had to bail on interviews because of audio problems.

But I won't stop watching looking forward to the next broadcast.

• Baller

@swbca I think you will find that D3 in particular will produce skis with a fairly similar flex pattern, the like's of Freddie Winter may try a couple of skis, but, I would suspect, four sets and maybe a little adjustment, the ski would be close to what he was on, you never know it may actually be better.

Question is, was the ski, gradually getting weaker to the point of failing or did it just fail at that point, I only ask because, I would of thought a Pro Skier might of noticed if the ski was going off.

I do know one Ex Pro Skier who hurt himself when the ski had a sudden failure after travel on a airline, he said it was his fault because he always used to check the flex by putting the nose and then the tail on the ground , then pushing on the ski, the one time he didn't check it, it failed.

He broke his ankle, so maybe something to remember if you travel with your ski.

• Baller
One oddity watching the slalom finals: maybe it's just me, but Jamie Bull's and Adam Caldwell's 2nd place finishes felt more exciting to me than Whitney's and Nate's wins (but all due respect to the winners). Of course, "close" only counts in horseshoes, but both Jamie and Adam were inches from getting their skis outside the next ball, instead of ending on an S-turn. Jamie was the only woman who got a real look at ball 3 at -41; and Adam got a look at 5 at -41, his first time on a pro podium… how old is he again?

• Baller_
@Stevie Boy When I bought a D3 ION it came with a flex test sheet of that actual ski. If I recall it was 4 separate zones of the ski. So if figured Pro Skiers would probably have spare ski with the same or almost the same values. I am still curious if pro skiers are tweaking their bevels with sandpaper. There isn't much wall thickness to work with on the new skis but it doesn't take much to make a change.

• Baller
@swbca : It was in 1985 and I was the one who took Bob out to the lake along with Lucky Lowe. Gordon Rathburn asked me on Friday if I would be willing to give Bob a ride on Sat because his ski was lost and had a new one coming overnight. It was an awesome experience and I believe it was my second Nationals. When we got out on the lake, Bob took out a file and started rasping the edges of the ski. He'd go ski a set, come back and use a little sand paper and skied again. He didn't run 38 in practice but was getting 4 or 5 bouys. I believe Roberge won that nationals and Bob got second. I was living in S. Il at the time and moved to FL in 1986. When I got to Fl Lucky invited me down to his lake to test the new LaPoint Pro. I tested skis several days and the last day Bob gave me a new ski to keep. Great fun and experience. I had a 1980 mastercraft and Lucky drove Bob and was he ever working that throttle!

• Baller_
@BS74 Fun Story . . . I think I remember Bob popping the tail on #3 at 38off. skis and ski technique have changed a lot since then. I did similar thing for World Trick Champion Micky Amsbry when he came out to my lake to practice tricks before his Nationals event. He was on a new trick ski he endorsed but hadn't tried yet.

• Baller
In addition, Jim McCormick asked me if I would pull his kids tricking. I did, didn't ask for any money in either case, just happy to do him and Bob a favor. However, when I moved to Fl I went down to Jims for a ski ride and he charged me $40.00,that was the last time I went there!

• Baller

@RAWSki i agree with you on the open/unmodulated mics. I actually sent a couple text messages about the mic on the dock cam that picked up the waves crashing to shore. It drowned out any other audio.

Otherwise I also agree that the webcast was awesome

S! It keeps improving!!

• Baller

Great tourney! I wish there were more pro tourneys pulled by MC and Malibu. Skiers better than I have told me those two feel very different than the SN. It's an interesting element of change.

Also agree on TWBC getting better and better. I do like the behind-the-scenes stuff too, but agree that some of the shots bordered a bit on creepy, like you could tell the skiers felt a bit uncomfortable with it. Whoever's producing, maybe keep those candid shots but don't hold those shots for so long. That or shoot them from farther away so the skiers aren't so aware they're on camera, like the sideline shots at a football game or dugout shots at a baseball game.

Great stuff!